Fining agent in unitank - transfer to bottling tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fining agent in unitank - transfer to bottling tank

Anyone fining in a uni-tank and pushing directly to a bottling tank? I am currently bottling un-filtered, and would like to get a bit clearer, however I want to fine in the uni-tank and transfer directly to the bottling tank. Anyone doing this? If so, what are you using for fining agents, and how do you prepare? I haven't had the best of luck doing this with isinglass to date.

I'm contemplating running a plate and frame filter inline to the bottling tank to take out any large particles/yeast in lieu of fining agents, as I figure both procedures likely take the same time/labor. I have a DE filter, but find it a bit cumbersome to operate/train others on.

The cartridge filters look pretty decent, but I recognize the increased cost of operation.

Thoughts/preferences?

Thx!

Biofine

I've used BioFine as a fining agent.

From what I remember, it needs to be applied very carefully so that it is well mixed with the beer - either added to the beer stream right before the pump, or through a port where it mixes with the beer as it charges into the tank.

We filled a corny keg (18.9L) with beer and 500grams of Biofine (for a 10HL batch)...and then using CO2 pressure, we very slowly emptied the keg into a brite tank (through the level gauge sample valve port) as we transferred from unitank to bbt. You have to regulate the pressure on the keg so that the entire content of the keg is emptied slowly over the course of the entire transfer.

I think within 24-36hrs the beer cleaned up quite nicely.

Any other experiences out there to share? Let me know how it works out for you.
    Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
    Funky Buddha Brewery
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
    (561) 945 - 4584
    alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Working...
    X