PDA

View Full Version : Inline O2 injection

imperialipa
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I had a question about injecting O2 into the wort on its way to the fermenter via an inline stainless stone.

I would imagine you put the valve post plate chiller to avoid hot side aeration...

But how long and at what PSI do you inject the air? On a 1bbl system I would think 1/2 way thru transfer would be more than enough. But I would not want to over aerate.

Any suggestions? How do you get O2 in your beer to the desired levels?

ArmstrongBrew
06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Definitely post chilling. I hook mine to an O2 bottle and turn it on half way through a transfer (2bbl). My stone sits in a sight glass so I turn the pressure up to just when I see bubbles coming out of the stone which is only a few PSI.

Works for me

TL Services
06-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Inject into post-chiller wort and try to endure the sinter/stone is fine porosity to keep the bubbles as small as possible. This will help to ensure the O2 dissolves quickly & efficiently into your wort.

There are basically three ways to control:

1) Experience/guesswork - if your fermentations are sound, with good gravity drop and control plus no off flavours, then you're pretty well there;

2) Mass flow - a small plc with mass flow measurement of wort flow rate can be used to control oxygenation very accurately;

3) Oxygen meter - If you have a DO meter & a suitable sample point you can measure the O2 level. Sample should be a reasonable distance (~30ft+) after injection to allow good dissolution of the O2, and must also be before yeast addition (for anyone who's pitching inline).

Hope that helps!