Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Treatments

G-Day!

We have been treating our water at the brewery based on Burton water, we usually plum for around a 2:1 ratio sulphate to chloride.

To be more precise targets at 300mg/l Sulphate & 150mg/l Chloride. Calcium 170mg/l

Our water is very soft so getting to these targets is easy enough.

How do US breweries treat their water as I always find their beers more sweeter & rounded than our drier crisp beers.

Cheers Guys

G

I like to treat all of my water so it has a maximum alkalinity of 50 mg/L as CaCO3 and a minimum calcium concentration of 50 mg/L. From there, I treat my mashes directly to achieve a pH of 5.2-5.5 when measured at room temperature. Because my water contains sufficient calcium and is extremely alkaline, I use lactic acid for everything. This presentation, which I gave at an MBAA Milwaukee meeting last month, includes a step-by-step outline of my procedure:

What I do probably isn't very representative of the US craft brewing industry as a whole, though.

Joe

Comment

Interesting!

What are your base sulphate & chloride levels?

Ours is 17 & 15 respectivley so additions of both are a must for us.

Comment

Mine are around 16 and 36 mg/L (I wouldn't be surprised if they fluctuate by +/- 10 from the water report). Aside from rare occasions when I use slaked lime instead of lactic acid, which requires additional calcium to remove enough alkalinity from my water, I don't worry about sulphate or chloride at all.

Joe

Comment

By the way, I updated the file to reflect the results of some recent mash experiments I performed. The changes make the math easier, and the same link will lead to the new file.

Joe

Comment

Working...
          X