Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keg Sales amount & sizes to retail (Seattle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Sales amount & sizes to retail (Seattle)

Hi all,

I am sure this topic has been discussed before, probably many times, however I am hoping to narrow down the discussion a little more.

1st) What size kegs are most common. I have seen 1/6, 1/4, 1/2 even 30l and 50l. Not for home use but a pub or bar. I assume there are some factors to consider such as type of beer (is it a specialty or your standard) and who is selling it (larger production brewery or a small craft brewer). I am just hoping to get a little more specific comments besides "Ask around" or "it all depends".

2nd) What are you selling the kegs for to a retail pub or bar? After looking around I have heard everywhere from $95 to over $200 for a 1/2. I imagine that based on my area, Seattle, keg size and factoring in that I am a small craft brewery (400-500 barrels a year), I should be able to narrow it down a little bit.

Thanks for indulging me and looking at the thread. I hope it was clear and I look forward to any and all replies.

StrongArm

Thoughts

1. There is not more common size than any others. To some degree it depends on what you can find to buy as far as used cooperage goes. I use 50L's and sixth barrels. Why? Because when I started my brewery those were available at the right price. The key is to have a "large" and a "small option" From there it does'nt really matter if you use 1/2s and quarters or 1/2s and sixths and so on.

2. Pricing. You probably aren't aware of this but it is illegal to talk pricing. I recommend going down to your local pub, asking to talk to the bar manager and see if he/she would be wiling to share with you a price sheet or info on how much they buy kegs for.

Hope that helps.
    Joel
    Two Beers Brewing Co.

Comment

WOW....learn something new every day, did not know about the pricing. Thanks so much for the info. I met you at the WA Brewers Festival and drank some of your great beer.

I will send you a PM.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by jvandenbrink
        1. There is not more common size than any others. To some degree it depends on what you can find to buy as far as used cooperage goes. I use 50L's and sixth barrels. Why? Because when I started my brewery those were available at the right price. The key is to have a "large" and a "small option" From there it does'nt really matter if you use 1/2s and quarters or 1/2s and sixths and so on.

2. Pricing. You probably aren't aware of this but it is illegal to talk pricing. I recommend going down to your local pub, asking to talk to the bar manager and see if he/she would be wiling to share with you a price sheet or info on how much they buy kegs for.

Hope that helps.
        Joel
        Two Beers Brewing Co.
        Why is it illegal to 'talk' pricing. It may be illegal to agree with other entities to 'fix' pricing, but I've never heard it's illegal to talk about your pricing.

If it is I'd like to know. And I am no expert in this field, but I have run my own business for 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewWerks
          Why is it illegal to 'talk' pricing. It may be illegal to agree with other entities to 'fix' pricing, but I've never heard it's illegal to talk about your pricing.

If it is I'd like to know. And I am no expert in this field, but I have run my own business for 30 years.
          Illegal? I don't know. But, there's a concept called intent, which can be a real bitch if DOJ decides it wants to start sniffing around your industry.
          Kevin Shertz
          Chester River Brewing Company
          Chestertown, MD

Comment

Working...
          X