Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone re-pitch 17 plato / 1.068 OG Yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone re-pitch 17 plato / 1.068 OG Yeast?

I have seen on White Labs that they dont recommend resuing yeast from a 6.5% or higher ABV.

The cost or re-growing fresh batches each time gets pretty high.

According to my math to do a 2bbl batch I would need 9 smack packs and 5.4 gallons of starter.

I looked into buying pitchabe 2bbl but its $183.00!!! That would seriously cut into my profit.

But if repitching effects the quality of the final product then you have to do what you have to do and eat the cost.

So my question is there anyone out there brewing IPA's with a ABV at 7%reusing their yeast with no ill effects?

If so how many times do you reuse? I do not have a yeast lab YET .... so I have no means of staining/counting the cells to test vitality and viability for each batch prior to pitching.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sure do, my main concerns are mutation and viability, but I get robust fermentations time after time.
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialipa
      I have seen on White Labs that they dont recommend resuing yeast from a 6.5% or higher ABV.

The cost or re-growing fresh batches each time gets pretty high.

According to my math to do a 2bbl batch I would need 9 smack packs and 5.4 gallons of starter.

I looked into buying pitchabe 2bbl but its $183.00!!! That would seriously cut into my profit.

But if repitching effects the quality of the final product then you have to do what you have to do and eat the cost.

So my question is there anyone out there brewing IPA's with a ABV at 7%reusing their yeast with no ill effects?

If so how many times do you reuse? I do not have a yeast lab YET .... so I have no means of staining/counting the cells to test vitality and viability for each batch prior to pitching.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
      Every day with no ill effects.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

Absolutely

We re-use our yeast from our 7.3% IPA whenever we have to with no ill-effects.
        I think that if you're brewing the same beer over and over then the yeast will be used to fermenting that wort and would be even more ideal than making a starter with dissimilar conditions.

And FYI- at a CBC talk 2 years ago(?), Mitch Steele said that Stone Brewing uses their IPA for yeast harvesting and re-use. His thoughts were that the IPA is the beer they brew the most and therefore yeast is always available and healthy.

Comment

yeast

Hi,

I am familiar with the technique of growing up yeast incrementally.
          So i start with a liquid smack pack from Wyeast (a few dollars)...and pitch into 10L carboy from a light beer, then into 100L fermenter from another light beer, then into 10HL fermenter for my main brew.

This technique does require some careful production planning so that the wort I use for step 1 and 2 (10L and 100L) and both from batches of lighter beer (below 12 P, below 20IBUs, and below 7SRM).

If you can manage a good schedule, I've found this method to be economical, efficient, and trouble free.

Any other opinions out there?
          Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
          Funky Buddha Brewery
          Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
          (561) 945 - 4584
          alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Been repitching wyeast 1098 every other day....some 18 Plato and higher, vigorous fermentations, beautiful, clean beer with no off flavors.

-Kev

Comment

Working...
            X