What to soak SS fittings in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to soak SS fittings in?

Hi friends, We use stainless camlock fittings on our pre-boil side hoses and pumps which work really well. Trouble is, the inside of the camlocks aren't as shiny as they once were - a malty covering has stated to become visible which wont move during usual cleaning (quats / PAA) methods.
    Just wondered if anyone has an idea of what we could soak the fittings in to easily dissolve the deposits, which being inside the fittings are hard to scrub off?
    many thanks.

You can dump them into a tub of 2% Hot Caustic detergent and leave it overnight.. If that doesn't work, it'll probably need some good manual cleaning.

We used to do this with our hopback and threw all sorts of stainless fittings in as well. Always came out clean.
    Ash Hazell
    Head of Brewing
    Colonial Brewing Co, Australia

Comment

Five-Star PBW works well for soaking stainless. 24hrs and most residues just hose right off.

Comment

Hey thanks for the replies, I've never used caustic but thought that might be my best method to try. Not familiar with PBW, although I think I've seen it somewhere nearby, is it the same kind of effect as caustic?

Comment

PBW is caustic based and should be readily available if you look around. Try it (or other caustic cleaners) on other parts of the plant as well, you'll be amazed how well it works.

It's pretty nasty stuff so if you haven't used it before, play safely and avoid any skin contact. Safety glasses are a must with it.

Cheers,
          Ash Hazell
          Head of Brewing

Comment

PBW isn't caustic based and is pretty darn mild on the skin. I've used it for over 7 years now and have never had a problem with it. Also, it works wonders for parts soaking and other cleaning, though I prefer caustic for cleaning fermentors.

"P.B.W. is a buffered alkaline detergent that has been proven to be more than an effective substitute for caustic soda cleaners. Because of its unique formulation of buffers and mild alkalis, it is safe on skin as well as soft metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and on plastics. P.B.W. uses active oxygen to penetrate carbon or protein soils and is not effected by hard water. The oxygen also helps in reducing B.O.D. and C.O.D. in wastewater, which is an added environmental benefit."
            Beejay
            Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

Sorry, it acted the same when I used it at home once so I made the assumption.

Either way, the effect is the same.
              Ash Hazell
              Head of Brewing

Comment

What he said.

Also, to add my two cents, soaking small parts in PBW overnight works great, just don't leave them in for weeks. That scale he's talking about is no joke to remove. I'd also remind you to mix your PBW or other metasilicate cleaners at temperatures below 120 F, or the chemical splits...leaving that same nasty scale everywhere it touches.

I usually soak the parts in a strong acid solution (same concentration as for passivation) after I do a PBW soak.

Nat

Comment

How did you go mate?
                  Ash Hazell
                  Head of Brewing

Comment

I like hot Oxiclean Free for an hour on small parts. Works pretty well as it close to PBW but much cheaper and available at most grocery stores.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by beejay

"P.B.W. is a buffered alkaline detergent that has been proven to be more than an effective substitute for caustic soda cleaners. Because of its unique formulation of buffers and mild alkalis, it is safe on skin as well as soft metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and on plastics. P.B.W. uses active oxygen to penetrate carbon or protein soils and is not effected by hard water. The oxygen also helps in reducing B.O.D. and C.O.D. in wastewater, which is an added environmental benefit."
                      Keep in mind that although Five-Star may say PBW is safe on plastics be careful using it on certain types of plastic. It has destroyed a few types of clear plastic we have either soaked in PBW or used as a container (like the large square measuring containers used in restaurants) to hold a PBW solution. It put a hundred tiny cracks in a 3 foot long 1/2" plastic sight glass we had on a HLT.

Comment

Working...
                      X