PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing Equipment from China

norfolk_guy
07-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Firstly, let me say that this community of beer lover, brewers, and dreamers has helped me learn so much on my journey to (hopefully) brewery ownership. I hope that I can share and help others as much.

Now I have a question that should generate some conversation and criticism. I'll brace myself for the barrage of hate mail. :(

Has anyone had some recent, practical, experience buying full brew-houses, fermenters, and/or bottle fillers from China. I have solicited some very competitive bids on all this equipment through Alibaba. Shipped to Canada.

For someone who has to risk all his savings and still have to convince investors and banks to lend him more, the pricing is very compelling. I've heard many of the obvious warnings that the quality is poor. But come on really?

So again I ask, does someone have recent and practical experience with purchases of brew-houses, fermenters, brites, and filler+crowners.

What was you experience? Any suppliers you recommend? Any suppliers to avoid?

Cheers and thanks,
Norfolk_Guy

jherrington
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Zhongde in Jinan, Shandong is the best that I have seen in China. http://www.zhongdeshebei.com/

Jos
07-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Two Zhongde systems went into breweries in my city recently. One is brewing, one isn't after many many months of delays (though some are not brewery related to be fair).

ParrotDog (http://www.facebook.com/parrotdog) have photos on their facebook page of a recent Zhongde equipment install.

Bottom line, like anything, you get what you pay for. If it seems suspiciously cheap, then it probably is!

YSBrewer
07-05-2012, 08:37 AM
We ordered a boil kettle from a "reputable" company back in March and wired half the money. Only to be told this month (July!!!) that it was not ordered! He said he got confused, I will post said company info later if issue goes un-resolved...

dfalken
07-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I spoke with Zhongde when I was looking for a manufacturer but didn't buy from them. I have never heard anything good about them, I know two people that have equipment from them and it is junk. Oh, and if you contact Zhongde expect their high pressure people to harass you for at least 6 months. The sales lady I spoke with would pop up on facebook, skype, msn, email, linked in, you name it...incessantly for months on end even after I told her I had already purchased a brewery elsewhere. It got to the point where it was basically harassment and I had to get angry at her....she still tried to contact me a few more times.

yap
07-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I spoke with Zhongde when I was looking for a manufacturer but didn't buy from them. I have never heard anything good about them, I know two people that have equipment from them and it is junk. Oh, and if you contact Zhongde expect their high pressure people to harass you for at least 6 months. The sales lady I spoke with would pop up on facebook, skype, msn, email, linked in, you name it...incessantly for months on end even after I told her I had already purchased a brewery elsewhere. It got to the point where it was basically harassment and I had to get angry at her....she still tried to contact me a few more times.

I have never contacted them directly myself, but they got my email from somewhere and send me generic broken english emails all the time....

norfolk_guy
07-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot. This was great information and I appreciate the time it takes to participate in the forums. I was afraid I would only hear opinions about “made in America (or North America) is great”.

So these are my take aways...

Beware of pushy, aggressive, cold calling sales people that don't give up and have bad grammar... hmm sounds like me at my job. ;-)

Here are my other take aways....

1.)Expect time over runs
2.)Expect communication issues
3.)Plan for the unexpected
4.)Budget a little more money for some tweaks (I'll plan 20% versus 10%)
5.)Know a good welder
6.)Be specific on some specs and testing prior to sign-off

I will try to contact some of the breweries I heard about and I would really love to hear about specific breweries that I could speak to.

Anybody have other comments?

Norfolk_Guy
dream2bbrewing

norfolk_guy
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey,

Love the pics and I like what I see! Wow! Nice price! Thanks for the fact based information.

Norfolk_Guy
dream2bbrewing

Last weekend we received our 12HL turnkey system from Shendong Equipment Technology. We order it in March. Total cost for 4 12HL fermenter. 1 20bbl fermenter, 6 12HL bright tanks, 1 20 bbl bright, HLT,CLT, mash, whirlpool and all accessory's $80,000.00. Shipping around $8,000 to upstate NY.
We understood that there might be some issues with quality but one of the partners is a master welder so we decided to take the chance. Yes we do see some issues but nothing we can not fix. You can check out the pics on Facebook (Paradox Brewery) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paradox-Brewery/338920679484529. I also have a copy of the inspection report with pictures. Now all we have to do is figure out how to put it together. They will send a Engineer to assembly the equipment from China but you have to pay for airfare,visa's and room & board. I would like to find someone here in the states to help hold down cost. Let me know if you need anymore information.
Paul
Paradox Brewery
Schroon Lake, NY
paul@paradoxbrewery.com

john_barton
11-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Anyone purchased from Jinan HG Machinery Co., Ltd? Any feedback?

john_barton
11-20-2013, 10:24 PM
And what was your impression, etibeer?

Perpetual Brew
03-31-2014, 03:14 PM
I would contact Atlantic Brew Supply in Raleigh, NC. They have sourced a number of brew houses and FVs for breweries in the area. They have a relationship with the manufacturer in China so they handle all the communication. They have also been able to work on any design issues and have that taken care of on the manufacturing side, so the kinks have been worked out. We are looking at purchasing a new 20 or 30 BBL system with FV/BTs from them this year.

J&B
04-01-2014, 12:52 AM
http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?36162-Warning-Chinese-fraud-Jinan-HG-Machinery-Co-Ltd-Shandong

adrianouli
11-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Hello norfolk_guy!!!
I'm from Brasil, and since we have beer equipments even more expensive than US, I've started looking for it from China. My question: have you bought it from China? What about them? What are the must reliable ones I should invest?
Please help me if possible on that!

Many tks man!
Uli

StephenP
12-02-2014, 12:53 AM
I'm an American brewer living in central China, and have visited many brewery equipment factories in Jinan and Ningbo. The simple answer is there is a huge range of options for design, quality, price and support.

At the top of the food chain are what I will call the "joint venture" companies, where much of the design and engineering is driven by western companies. The quality of the welding, the inspection and documentation process, the accessories and fittings are to a very high standard. This is the same mechanism by which BMW, Audi, Volkswagen and GM make excellent cars here for the Chinese market.

At the bottom are the small shops, dirt floors, little or no documentation. The motors, pumps, wiring, fittings, valves, welding and design will test your patience and problem solving ability, sometimes on a daily basis. The price will seem to good to be true, and it is.

The middle is a vast gray area. Some are very large companies with excellent quality, but you need to know exactly what you want and the order must be very specific. As for design insist on referrals from existing customers. Any manufacturer who will not give you this, or appears to be playing games, is just hoping for a quick sale. I've heard the expression in Mandarin more than once, "Maybe customer not notice". It is pretty hard to evaluate a supplier on a quick visit to China, but I believe there are consultants for hire who can help sort the good ones out.

We have a new 10BBL system coming next month from Ningbo, and I have worked closely with the western designer and the Chinese engineers, both via email and by direct factory visits. The level of professionalism and support is as good as any I had with US suppliers.

Do your homework before making an expensive purchase and you will be happy with equipment from the Middle Kingdom.

Floro
02-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi Stephen,

Could you kindly share the supplier's name with us.

Tks

StephenP
02-22-2015, 09:37 AM
My 10 BBL brewhouse and tanks are coming from Brew-Tek, an American owned company based here in China. They manufacture in Ningbo, and the staff of Americans, Brits and Kiwis and Chinese have decades of brewing experience in both design and operation. Yes, it's Chinese made equipment, but the quality and attention to detail made it an easy decision for me and my partners. I also like DME, with their Canadian expertise and engineering (and their hundreds of installations) but the personal level of service provided by Brew-Tek, as well as the ultra attention to detail in welds, materials, design, etc. won the day. Brew-Tek is truly equipment made by brewers for brewers, and you can't always say that in China.

You can contact John Gonzales at Brew-Tek for more specific information. He is based here, speaks fluent Mandarin, and will be happy to help with any questions. jgonzales@brew-tek.com

TiminOz
02-22-2015, 02:18 PM
The only system on the Bretek website is very small Nano. Where have they installed a full size system? It seems that until recently their main line was growlers, that's quite a leap.

StephenP
02-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Brew-Tek is new, they started with growlers and a 50 liter Nano system, and have now expanded to a 3BBL, 5BBL and 10BBL brewhouse. Their website definitely needs an update, but the equipment is exceptional and the demand has been great. They are installing a 5 BBL at a new and very upscale brewpub in Shenzhen, have another 3 BBL going to Japan and just shipped tanks to India.

StephenP
02-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Here are some photos of our new system, which is installing after the Chinese New Year holiday.

TiminOz
02-22-2015, 08:31 PM
What is the name of the factory they are made at?

StephenP
02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
The Chinese name in Ningbo is Zonghuan. The company previously did only contract work, but last year signed an exclusive agreement for design and marketing (domestic and international) with Brew-Tek. They launched their partnership last year at the Beijing Brew and Beverage show. This is the same partnership arrangement that DME has with Zhongru in Ningbo, and works well. In fact it's the same system Apple uses to build phones and computers here. Brew-Tek have their own people based at the factory, to both oversee QA and give updates.

I realize I'm sounding like a cheerleader for Brew-Tek, but my experience has just been so much better than my previous purchase of a 5 BBL system from Jinan. Unfortunately my experience with ZHbrew was exactly the same as this post. http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?43253-Review-of-Chinese-manufacture-ZHbrew-in-Jinan-Shandong-China&highlight=china

Here is another photo of the Brew-Tek system from the show last year.

TiminOz
02-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Yes Stephen you do sound like you are in sales for Brewtek. It might be better to use the equipment for 6 months to a year before selling its performance value. Once you have used it successfully for many brews then a reference might mean a bit more.

StephenP
02-23-2015, 01:12 AM
Yes Stephen you do sound like you are in sales for Brewtek. It might be better to use the equipment for 6 months to a year before selling its performance value. Once you have used it successfully for many brews then a reference might mean a bit more.

Not sure I agree. First, I have absolutely zero connection to Brew-Tek, outside of being a customer who has used their Nano system for nearly a year. I have also brewed several times on their test system, so I've seen how it responds during a brew, and working with the designer (from New Zealand) we incorporated changes and custom features that both he and I recommended. Just try to find that from your average Chinese supplier.

You don't need 6 months to know good welds from bad. Nor do you need 6 months to appreciate a brewhouse designed by a western brewer with 20 years commercial experience. My order was completed ahead of schedule, and the only delays were on my end in getting our new factory completed (construction in China, that's a whole different conversation). I receive many messages asking for help with sourcing in China, and to find people who are doing it right, the "hands on" way, is not only very rare, it's also refreshing. I can understand you are the skeptical type, but considering the barrage of Chinese equipment suppliers who aggressively advertise here it's hard to know which way to turn.

Eyepokingstick
03-04-2015, 10:58 AM
not sure i agree. First, i have absolutely zero connection to brew-tek, outside of being a customer who has used their nano system for nearly a year. I have also brewed several times on their test system, so i've seen how it responds during a brew, and working with the designer (from new zealand) we incorporated changes and custom features that both he and i recommended. Just try to find that from your average chinese supplier.

You don't need 6 months to know good welds from bad. Nor do you need 6 months to appreciate a brewhouse designed by a western brewer with 20 years commercial experience. My order was completed ahead of schedule, and the only delays were on my end in getting our new factory completed (construction in china, that's a whole different conversation). I receive many messages asking for help with sourcing in china, and to find people who are doing it right, the "hands on" way, is not only very rare, it's also refreshing. I can understand you are the skeptical type, but considering the barrage of chinese equipment suppliers who aggressively advertise here it's hard to know which way to turn.

boooyaaaaa!!!

StephenP
02-02-2016, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=StephenP;128144]I'm an American brewer living in central China, and have visited many brewery equipment factories in Jinan and Ningbo. The simple answer is there is a huge range of options for design, quality, price and support.

About the quick sale ,if you confirmed the technical detail ,and after market ,they also can provide the service , that's no problem.

welcome to visit our website: www.maidilong.net

I have ZERO connection to this company, but would advise them to learn basic english before trying to sell to the western market. China is a minefield of schemes and deceptive business practices, so do your homework and don't trust email promises or websites with photos of happy customers.

Jedi
02-02-2016, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=maidilong;156939]

I have ZERO connection to this company, but would advise them to learn basic english before trying to sell to the western market. China is a minefield of schemes and deceptive business practices, so do your homework and don't trust email promises or websites with photos of happy customers.
Thanks Stephen. What this thread has taught me is the Chinese beer equipment vendors are like the Chinese eBay stores except in this case you don't have the eBay protection to help you when things go wrong.

I was tempted to go the Chinese route but after this thread I don't want to lose my life's savings gambling on equipment.

edgars
02-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Has any one some experience with fillers from china? I have offer from "Shandong HG Machinery Co., Ltd." for HG-CGF6/6/1 type bottle washing filling capping monoblock. Was initially looking at Meheen, but price for china device is really competing.

dick murton
02-08-2016, 03:59 AM
I tried to commission a keg line and a bottle filler from this company about 18 months ago. A complete and utter waste of metal. The only thing they are both fit for is scrap. We never got the bottle filler going as the execution of the design was very poor and kept jamming crowns, breaking bottles in the filler and crowner. The CIP was virtually existent, and was totally unsafe. The electrics were unsafe. The company supplied a compressor which ran (trigger points) between 4 and 6.5 bar, which actually meant the air tank dropped to 3 bar or less before the pressure started to build up again, and because the pressure was so high at times, the regulator could not cope and as a result blew seals and helps to smash bottles. The keg line might possibly have worked, but again, a huge compressed air tank and better controlled compressor would have helped immensely. But the detergent tank design was unsafe. No seals, no spares supplied as standard. They sent over an engineer who had never seen the kit, and didn't speak a word of English or French. Ever tried using Google translate for technical stuff?

Based on experience of 18 months ago - don't go there.

I am sure there must be some half decent kit made out there, but this supplier is (or was not then) one of them.

gitchegumee
02-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Yet again. If you must save your money, then don't spend it on garbage equipment. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Well-built equipment is not the cheapest. I've also dealt with garbage equipment several times on behalf of folks who thought they were getting a deal. No more. I won't be fooled again.

edgars
02-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Dick, I would appreciate if you could share some quotation docs with filling line that company delivered to you -> edgars@labietis.lv Could you?
I was planing to take Meheen, but then Shandong appeared from nowhere and convinced me. Now seams you are putting me back on track. :)

Fernando
04-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Hi, I'm form Spain and trying to get a reasonable good equipment from China. Does anybody knows anything about Meto Brewing Company? I have a good offer from them and I would like to know if this company belongs to the Middle Kingdom.

I'm an American brewer living in central China, and have visited many brewery equipment factories in Jinan and Ningbo. The simple answer is there is a huge range of options for design, quality, price and support.

At the top of the food chain are what I will call the "joint venture" companies, where much of the design and engineering is driven by western companies. The quality of the welding, the inspection and documentation process, the accessories and fittings are to a very high standard. This is the same mechanism by which BMW, Audi, Volkswagen and GM make excellent cars here for the Chinese market.

At the bottom are the small shops, dirt floors, little or no documentation. The motors, pumps, wiring, fittings, valves, welding and design will test your patience and problem solving ability, sometimes on a daily basis. The price will seem to good to be true, and it is.

The middle is a vast gray area. Some are very large companies with excellent quality, but you need to know exactly what you want and the order must be very specific. As for design insist on referrals from existing customers. Any manufacturer who will not give you this, or appears to be playing games, is just hoping for a quick sale. I've heard the expression in Mandarin more than once, "Maybe customer not notice". It is pretty hard to evaluate a supplier on a quick visit to China, but I believe there are consultants for hire who can help sort the good ones out.

We have a new 10BBL system coming next month from Ningbo, and I have worked closely with the western designer and the Chinese engineers, both via email and by direct factory visits. The level of professionalism and support is as good as any I had with US suppliers.

Do your homework before making an expensive purchase and you will be happy with equipment from the Middle Kingdom.

Fernando
04-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi, I'm form Spain and trying to get a reasonable good equipment from China. Does anybody knows anything about Meto Brewing Company? I have a good offer from them and I would like to know if this company belongs to the Middle Kingdom.

On the other hand, How is your experience so far with Brew Tech's equipment?. Can I visit your Web Site? What is the name of your microbrewery?

WaywardOwlBeer
04-10-2016, 05:26 PM
This sounds like you want someone to tell you it's okay to buy Chinese. It's perfectly fine to do so, I would suggest sharpening up on your maintenance skills. A lot of these companies aren't JUST making brewing equipment. I prefer a company focused on just brewing gear. In my experience these days you get what you pay for in both equipment and customer service. It's priceless to actually call the manufacturer during the day and talk to someone who actually had a hand in the design and building of your gear. Getting in touch with someone for quick troubleshooting with someone who is on the same continent is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernando
04-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Thank you!

This sounds like you want someone to tell you it's okay to buy Chinese. It's perfectly fine to do so, I would suggest sharpening up on your maintenance skills. A lot of these companies aren't JUST making brewing equipment. I prefer a company focused on just brewing gear. In my experience these days you get what you pay for in both equipment and customer service. It's priceless to actually call the manufacturer during the day and talk to someone who actually had a hand in the design and building of your gear. Getting in touch with someone for quick troubleshooting with someone who is on the same continent is nice.

dfalken
04-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Hola Fernando, llevo 5 años comprando en China y toda mi cerveceria es China. Si queres platicar al respecto con gusto te echo una mano. Hay equipos buenos en China y hay equipos malisimos pero si aprendes a comprar en China nunca vuelves a comprar en otra parte, la diferencia de precios es enorme. Escribeme un private message si quieres y platicamos mas.

Fernando
04-25-2016, 06:39 AM
Hola Fernando, llevo 5 años comprando en China y toda mi cerveceria es China. Si queres platicar al respecto con gusto te echo una mano. Hay equipos buenos en China y hay equipos malisimos pero si aprendes a comprar en China nunca vuelves a comprar en otra parte, la diferencia de precios es enorme. Escribeme un private message si quieres y platicamos mas.

Muchas gracias! Perdona por mi ignorancia pero ¿Cómo puedo enviarte un private message?

dfalken
04-25-2016, 10:29 PM
Muchas gracias! Perdona por mi ignorancia pero ¿Cómo puedo enviarte un private message?

Fernando si le das click a mi nombre "dfalken" te sale la opcion para enviarme el mensaje privado pero si quieres escribeme directo a mi correo que es david @ cervezacadejo . com sin los espacios claro

dick murton
04-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Fernando, I have sent you a PM (well actually the same one twice) due to apparently getting logged out.

Fernando
04-27-2016, 05:14 AM
Fernando, I have sent you a PM (well actually the same one twice) due to apparently getting logged out.

Thank you Dick! I appreciate your advice but we are already dealing with a local consultor

dick murton
04-27-2016, 06:24 AM
Good. I have seen a good number where no external advice / opinion at all was taken. Hope it all goes well.

BrooksCooper
05-02-2016, 05:19 PM
So, I bought all but 1 of our tanks from a factory in Dalian, China. I was comfortable doing it because I worked with a US consultant who has a long standing relationship with this one factory. He sources his clients' tanks from them and in return gets guarantees of quality, metallurgy and design. They are responsive to his requested changes. I recently bought a 3bbl from them to prototype with and the changes in design from his feedback were obvious. With that level of comfort I didn't have a second thought.

If you are at CBC, the company will be there. Dalian Yongshen something or other. The owners Wang and Jessica will be staffing the booth and are very nice people.

The consultant I worked with was Brewery Consultant Group - breweryconsultantgroup@gmail.com and I could not be happier with the experience.

That said, here are the minor negatives - My tanks were small enough to stand upright in a shipping container so no dunnage for side transport was needed. They shipped the tanks wrapped in bubble wrap. That's it. Two suffered minor cosmetic dents.

They used a goofy size for the CIP fitting on top of the tank - 3.5". The consultant made them stop that. There's only 1 place I can find in the US that stocks those gaskets so I bought a bunch as spares.

We threw away all tri-clamp gaskets that came with the tanks. I could never get them clean enough to suit my persnicketyness.

The first order of tanks were FILTHY inside and out when they arrived. The new tank was much, much cleaner so they seem to have upped their game.

Worth it for Stung, for sure.

Jim ComtoniKa
05-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Guys im on the search of a can seamer, probably gonna buy from china because i dont want to spend much, and the one that oskar blues sells doesnt fit the size of can i can buy in my country. Anyone know which Chinese company i can contact?

something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQompgxV3wM

Thanks!!

Jim ComtoniKa
05-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Any Reference on the company Shenzen Penglai / Penglai Packing ??? http://www.penglaichina.com/

Thanks!!

Davbus
06-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Had anyone made a purchase with METO Brewery Equipment http://www.metobrew.com/? Got a pretty sweet deal from them and pictures and drawings all look good. Communication is great as well.

Dan_Ramble
08-30-2016, 08:24 AM
Had anyone made a purchase with METO Brewery Equipment http://www.metobrew.com/? Got a pretty sweet deal from them and pictures and drawings all look good. Communication is great as well.

But the weirdest thing, their sales guy got "hacked" and I was offered another quote from a competing tank supplier? It all got sorted but we're definitely on edge about all this and we need more tanks asap.

Did you end up following through with the order? How was your experience?

PeaceKeeperBrew
09-23-2016, 06:03 AM
But the weirdest thing, their sales guy got "hacked" and I was offered another quote from a competing tank supplier? It all got sorted but we're definitely on edge about all this and we need more tanks asap.

Did you end up following through with the order? How was your experience?

Tanks we quoted at a great price, does anything have any feedback.

Also, does anyone have any experience with NFE Jinan?

jawsfree
09-26-2016, 05:46 AM
Another question about ordering from China is shipping and Customs. I have contacted a Broker that handles imports at our local port on the East Coast. It is pretty confusing with all the fees, bonds, insurance, etc. I was thinking of taking a chance on a single fermenter to see if works out. I saw that Colorado Boy Brewery, aka Frankenbrew Author, had a conical fermenter in one of their recent videos and he confirmed he ordered from wzshuangding@hotmail.com. She goes by Annabel. I feel comfortable with the manufacture but the whole customs thing worries me. The broker is even unsure of the proper tariff to use so it could be $0.00 or $500.00, that makes a big difference when your trying to decide on whether to order from China or just buy local.

Starcat
09-26-2016, 06:19 AM
The thing that needs to be realized is that the GDP of the USA has been critically undermined by the Politicians.
There has to be a move back the other direction and its about the people waking up and taking the country back from the Banksters which has not happened yet in the necessary numbers. The notion that a debt based financial system " works " is a total falsehood.
It does not work, and is not necessary. People have been duped to think this is just the way things work when there are other ways that work far better. So when in the midst of a very unstable country, people keep following suit with the mistakes and outsourcing things, this is further undermining your home country which is already unstable because it has and is being asset stripped 6 ways to Sunday. Because the monetary system has been weaponized against the common people, everyone is running essentially on behaviors and assumptions that are largely insane while all the time thinking thats just the way things are. There is a dark side to every cultures approach to chasing money and the main thing with China goods is inferior quality in most instances. Some of the explanation to how they approach things would be beyond my ability to language, but they do not see it like the average american does.
There are exceptions, but it requires a great deal of savvy and also Technical skill to navagate.
The suggestion of not to buy the Major Equipment outside of the USA.

dfalken
09-26-2016, 10:53 PM
The thing that needs to be realized is that the GDP of the USA has been critically undermined by the Politicians.
There has to be a move back the other direction and its about the people waking up and taking the country back from the Banksters which has not happened yet in the necessary numbers. The notion that a debt based financial system " works " is a total falsehood.
It does not work, and is not necessary. People have been duped to think this is just the way things work when there are other ways that work far better. So when in the midst of a very unstable country, people keep following suit with the mistakes and outsourcing things, this is further undermining your home country which is already unstable because it has and is being asset stripped 6 ways to Sunday. Because the monetary system has been weaponized against the common people, everyone is running essentially on behaviors and assumptions that are largely insane while all the time thinking thats just the way things are. There is a dark side to every cultures approach to chasing money and the main thing with China goods is inferior quality in most instances. Some of the explanation to how they approach things would be beyond my ability to language, but they do not see it like the average american does.
There are exceptions, but it requires a great deal of savvy and also Technical skill to navagate.
The suggestion of not to buy the Major Equipment outside of the USA.

I've had many more problems with my US providers than with my Chinese providers and I purchase from several Chinese companies, including all my brewery equipment. Most of my issues with US providers have been around dishonesty, currently I have an open credit card dispute for 1800 dollars that a provider basically flat out stole from me. Certainly there are some quality issues with Chinese equipment (for example their gaskets) but once you learn to navigate them you can save a ton of money and have very good quality equipment. My bottling line cost me about a third of a comparable Italian line and about a fifth of a German line. Initially we experienced near double digit (percentage wise) beer losses mainly due to overfobbing and problems with the filling heads, but once we replaced the o-rings and gaskets it has worked like a charm for about a year now. Our losses are less than 1% and we have never had any oxidation problems. We run at 5300 bottles per hour without many glitches at this point. I have never owned a German or Italian line but from what I hear they can be as problematic or more problematic than what we have experienced. Buying from China is not for everyone but if you can figure it out and feel comfortable with it there are big monetary benefits.

Tim Masbrew
11-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Hello all,

We just purchased an entire brewery from China. I will update quality and process of shipping and recieving.
The equipment was purchased from Jinan Tiantai Beer Equipment Co., Ltd.. Jana Wang has been the sales assistant and has been very responsive to all emails and redundant questions. I will also say that the price while not the absolute lowest, but darn near, is very reasonable. here is the short list;
Description: Grain Milling Unit [300~500kg/hr] 1unit, Flexible Auger 1unit, Brewhouse Unit [MLT+KWT+20HL HLT] 1unit, 2000L Fermentation Tank 3sets, 1000L Fermentation Tank 2sets, 2000L Unitank 3sets, 1000L Unitank 2sets, Glycol Chilling Unit [2500L GWT +2500L CLT 2x5HP Chiller] 1unit, Controlling Unit [ PLC for brewhouse] 1unit, Controlling Unit [PID for cellar] 1unit, CIP Cart Unit 1unit, Double Station Keg Filler 1set, Double Station Keg Rinser 1set . the set also includes all of the plumbing for the Glycol loops and a custom HERMS in the HLT, all valves on the brewhouse are pneumatic. They will also source other taproom items like chairs and also will ship as many kegs as can be fit into the shipping containers. So far I am very happy with the process. The payments are handled via Alipay. This is Chinese Paypal and it comes with buyers assurance. Like I said I will post updates to this as they are warranted. We are expecting the equipment to ship before China's spring festival (Chinese new year) in late Jan.

Tim Masbrew
Bent Bine Brew Co. LLC
bentbine@comcast.net

rickthebrewer
02-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Hello all,

We just purchased an entire brewery from China. I will update quality and process of shipping and recieving.
The equipment was purchased from Jinan Tiantai Beer Equipment Co., Ltd.. Jana Wang has been the sales assistant and has been very responsive to all emails and redundant questions. I will also say that the price while not the absolute lowest, but darn near, is very reasonable. here is the short list;
Description: Grain Milling Unit [300~500kg/hr] 1unit, Flexible Auger 1unit, Brewhouse Unit [MLT+KWT+20HL HLT] 1unit, 2000L Fermentation Tank 3sets, 1000L Fermentation Tank 2sets, 2000L Unitank 3sets, 1000L Unitank 2sets, Glycol Chilling Unit [2500L GWT +2500L CLT 2x5HP Chiller] 1unit, Controlling Unit [ PLC for brewhouse] 1unit, Controlling Unit [PID for cellar] 1unit, CIP Cart Unit 1unit, Double Station Keg Filler 1set, Double Station Keg Rinser 1set . the set also includes all of the plumbing for the Glycol loops and a custom HERMS in the HLT, all valves on the brewhouse are pneumatic. They will also source other taproom items like chairs and also will ship as many kegs as can be fit into the shipping containers. So far I am very happy with the process. The payments are handled via Alipay. This is Chinese Paypal and it comes with buyers assurance. Like I said I will post updates to this as they are warranted. We are expecting the equipment to ship before China's spring festival (Chinese new year) in late Jan.

Tim Masbrew
Bent Bine Brew Co. LLC
bentbine@comcast.net

Any update yet?

jebzter
02-13-2017, 10:02 AM
I would be wary of purchasing a glycol unit from China. It will probably work, might not be the most efficient thing out there, but I bet it uses R-22 refrigerant. R-22 is getting more and more expensive in the USA due to it being banned on new equipment and from being manufactured. R-22 will be no longer serviceable after 01/01/2020.

Tim Masbrew
03-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Hello all,

Tim Masbrew
Bent Bine Brew Co. LLC
bentbine@comcast.net

We are close to shipping the brewery from the Jinan Taintai BEC, LTD and I wanted to let everyone interested know what's going on. I will say that Jana Wang has been an amazing person to work with (I hope she says the same of me). I have received many updates and pictures of the equipment during the various stages of manufacturing. Everything is looking as I have specified and I have posted most of the pictures on our Facebook page, lookup "bent Bine Brew Co." Like others have said, Importing may not be for everyone, but I have had a great experience to date. Probably the trickiest part is working on the Alibaba website. It is difficult to make even the smallest changes to an existing contract, usually you are better off doing additional separate contracts for items added after the down payment has been made. Another really important thing is respectful communication. Usually anything I have misunderstood was worked out after carefully stating facts and suggesting solutions. Feel free to look at our photo posts on our facebook page.
www.facebook.com/Vaughn.Bay.Brewery/

Tim Masbrew
03-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Any update yet?

I have posted an update below as a comment on my original post.

Tim

Tim Masbrew
03-14-2017, 11:52 AM
I would be wary of purchasing a glycol unit from China. It will probably work, might not be the most efficient thing out there, but I bet it uses R-22 refrigerant. R-22 is getting more and more expensive in the USA due to it being banned on new equipment and from being manufactured. R-22 will be no longer serviceable after 01/01/2020.

My experience, They will ask you what type of refrigerant you want the equipment to use.

Tim

MAZALA brewery
09-02-2017, 05:18 AM
I have posted an update below as a comment on my original post.

Tim

Any update on their equipment?your facebook page is not working. im also thinking about buying from tiantai, so far so good
Please tell me what do you think about their equipments?
Thank you

Bjp9130
09-03-2017, 05:34 AM
We are novices at this whole thing. We are in the process of buying a building right now and are looking at starting a brewery in it by next spring if we can get permits that quickly. (Good lawyer will help I hope). We need to have equipment from what I understand to even apply for it in our state. So I have a master welder, with years of stainless experience, an excellent electrician already on staff at my real job and have logic controller experience with process equipment. I want to buy American but see the Chinese stuff so reasonably priced that even if we spent a bunch of time reworking flaws I still would be tens of thousands ahead. The plan would be to buy a bare bones rig and customize it ourselves. Tell me where I am crazy and shoot my plan full of holes.
Thanks

gbough
09-03-2017, 08:54 PM
I just bought a mill and 5 tanks from Sungood, I doubt the quality is an issue with a bit of research.

Two of our current tanks were bought from a seller in California, 99.9999% that they were sourced from China there were open welds everywhere.

We had them redone locally and have worked perfectly since then.

Ill try and keep you guys updated on timing and quality once we get out things.

Kobold Brewing
10-05-2017, 09:24 AM
How has your Brew-Tek system worked out for you? Would you buy from them again? Thanks

brain medicine
10-05-2017, 02:31 PM
I just bought a mill and 5 tanks from Sungood, I doubt the quality is an issue with a bit of research.

Two of our current tanks were bought from a seller in California, 99.9999% that they were sourced from China there were open welds everywhere.

We had them redone locally and have worked perfectly since then.

Ill try and keep you guys updated on timing and quality once we get out things.

was this seller the one down in paso robles/ santa barbara area ? they seem to be taking the role of distributor in US.

tpa_brewer
10-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Just to throw my two cents in....we are in the final stages (waiting on gas permits to plumb in gas) of setting up our 3 bbl system sourced and manufactured in China. We heard all the horror stories and actually budgeted money in to allow for changes post delivery. So far....<knocking on wood>....we've been surprised every step of the way with how well everything has turned out.

From the start, the manufacturer produced professional engineering/autocad drawings of our tanks not only to spec but to our exact space/location (we supplied the floorplan). They also produced mill certificates to ensure we got the stainless we paid for....the welding has passed the inspection on my master welder business partner...and all of our electronic/components/pumps are UL listed. There even have been some pleasant surprises along the way....like them including 60ft of brewery hose, german-made spunding valves and all pp-r (aka aquatherm) pipe for the glycol system.

My biggest complaint (so far) was the complete and utterly lack of documentation. The system showed up in a shipping container with 7...yes seven.... black and white photos on how to put the system together. The manufacturer did get us a wiring diagram for the PLC/control panel but it was a couple of long...patient....beer filled days sorting through parts on a banquet table to try and figure out how all the hard piping goes together to get all the tanks plumbed correctly.

Like I said...my two cents on my/our experience

bcoffey
10-06-2017, 06:56 AM
If you would like more info regarding complete systems and/or fermenters, I rep for http://www.TDTanks.com

They have been very easy to work with and have a very quick turn around time.

I have been in the beer business for thirty years and have seen many terrible systems from China, so it took a great amount of
convincing to get me to represent them.

In addition, we just started producing stills for distilling from our own designs.
I have a new project with a million dollar plus budget for equipment and I will be purchasing much of the equipment from them, so
I definitely believe in the quality.
Bill Coffey
billcoffey13@yahoo.com
(209)743 6123

bcoffey
10-06-2017, 03:47 PM
We are novices at this whole thing. We are in the process of buying a building right now and are looking at starting a brewery in it by next spring if we can get permits that quickly. (Good lawyer will help I hope). We need to have equipment from what I understand to even apply for it in our state. So I have a master welder, with years of stainless experience, an excellent electrician already on staff at my real job and have logic controller experience with process equipment. I want to buy American but see the Chinese stuff so reasonably priced that even if we spent a bunch of time reworking flaws I still would be tens of thousands ahead. The plan would be to buy a bare bones rig and customize it ourselves. Tell me where I am crazy and shoot my plan full of holes.
Thanks

Bill Coffey
Do Good Distillery
Stanislaus Brewing
billcoffey13@yahoo.com

I also rep for these guys and believe in their quality.

http://www.TDTanks.com

gbough
10-07-2017, 03:54 PM
was this seller the one down in paso robles/ santa barbara area ? they seem to be taking the role of distributor in US.

Yes the ones I bought in the US, have a listed Address in Paso Robles. Our latest order was bough directly from Sungood in China. They are supposed to ship in about a week or two.

Treev2
10-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Recently bought from China- please email me at emailtrevor@gmail.com if you still have questions. I visited the factory of Zhongde but didn't buy from them...

bcoffey
10-09-2017, 03:12 PM
http://www.tdtanks.com

Any questions, please feel free to contact me. And, check out our prototype still as well.

Bill Coffey
Stanislaus Brewing
Do Good Distilling
(209) 743 6123
billcoffey13@yahoo.com

augiedoggy
10-16-2017, 06:12 AM
Hi,
It is a risky idea. I have some experience for you reference. Most of the beer tanks on USA market are from China. The USA distributors will have a factory in China for their tanks and also have very good quality control.
Of course there are some margin when bring them back to USA and combine everything together. There are also some other manufactures of beer tanks who don't have distributor. Price may level from 20 to 50 if the price in USA is 100.
However, the most important is the design. Some design is impossible to reprocess even your welder very skilled.

My suggestion is to do some survey by yourself and learn the difference. It is not hard to find ten or twenty manufacturers in China in one city.
Find someone who looks expert after your inspection. Some money like tickets, hotel may be spent. I still think it is much worthy than leaving the possible problems to your master welder or electrician.

Ray

I agree here, We recently bought my 3 bbl kettles from a sponsor here who I believe makes the equipment for a couple other very large us vendors. Even with dealing with customs fees and such we saved thousands vs buying the exact same thing through a US middleman. we are still waiting for it to be ready and shipped but so far the process has gone very well and the communication has been very good. However while some things advertised on alibaba look the same you have to do some research, especially if your looking for something specific that may be complex.

Starcat
07-05-2018, 02:16 PM
How about calling it " Truth Mail " instead.
What you have to look for are situations that are more uncommon and are liasoned by persons in the USA or persons that know exactly who and what they are dealing with, and then know EXACTLY what you are getting into with the " Tek " as there are very certain pitfalls with certain types of systems.
I'll give Still Dragon as an example of a Liason that is running a quality oriented operation Between the USA and China.
Its more about knowing what types of things not to buy from that locality.
I have located a line of Solenoid Valves from China that are actually decent, but this is the exception not the rule.
Chinese bearings are noted for being the worst and shortest lasting on the planet with zero exceptions.

One thing that people do not get about the Chinese is they produce things that can become worthless in a matter of weeks, and the quality and engineering integrity of those things is often not that good. They have a very unique and unusual style of lying and a very unsavory type of materialism they go in for.
Just the facts on the darker side of how they roll.

People need to think seriously about the Banksters who moved all of the production out of the USA, and undermined this country by their unbridled greed....destroying the GDP.
All the lying politicians, and the fact that we are not supposed to be in a " debt based " monetary system in the first place.
Kennedy would have taken us out of that, but the dark side won out and poisoned everyones' way of seeing the truth in the process.
The fact that everything has been monetized is exactly what has taken all the quality out of " EVERYTHING "
People need to think seriously about this one simple fact.
Production needs to be moved back to the USA, and fast.
We then need to start expecting and paying for quality as is possible.

Star

Lidman
07-13-2018, 04:04 PM
I know of several brewers who are satisfied with the Chinese made tanks and, to a lesser degree, brewhouses.

As far as fillers, crowners, seamers...run as fast as you can. There are a few US companies using the Chinese made machines and hanging their brand on it.

The bearings, bushings, welds, and everything else will fail within a few months to some degree and the SS will rust. These machines are woefully pathetic.

Remember, you can't sell leakers.

baer19d
07-13-2018, 05:54 PM
I just received my fermenters that I purchased from Sungood Machinery and they look geat.

augiedoggy
07-15-2018, 07:00 AM
I just received my fermenters that I purchased from Sungood Machinery and they look geat.

same with our kettles... They should, Sungood makes at least some of them for the biggest nano brand name in the states..

dfalken
07-17-2018, 11:34 PM
I know of several brewers who are satisfied with the Chinese made tanks and, to a lesser degree, brewhouses.

As far as fillers, crowners, seamers...run as fast as you can. There are a few US companies using the Chinese made machines and hanging their brand on it.

The bearings, bushings, welds, and everything else will fail within a few months to some degree and the SS will rust. These machines are woefully pathetic.

Remember, you can't sell leakers.

I beg to disagree. We have owned a Chinese made 5200 bph 24 head rotary tri-block along with a single label cold glue labeler and we continue to be very happy with it. We did have to change most of its seals early on as the Chinese seals aren't great and we made a few tweaks here and there but overal we saved a ton of money (1/3 the price of comparable Western fillers) and it continues to do its job very well. We regularly measure dissolved oxygen in the bottle and we have never had a problem with high oxygen levels. There are bad Chinese machines but there are also good Chinese machines, you just have to do your homework when it comes to China. I purchase bottles, crown caps, kegs, brew equipment, SS growlers, promotional items, etc from China and I couldn't be happier. I find their customer service to be excellent and so far I haven't had a bad experience with any of my purchases.

Catfish002
07-18-2018, 05:26 AM
I beg to disagree. We have owned a Chinese made 5200 bph 24 head rotary tri-block along with a single label cold glue labeler and we continue to be very happy with it. We did have to change most of its seals early on as the Chinese seals aren't great and we made a few tweaks here and there but overal we saved a ton of money (1/3 the price of comparable Western fillers) and it continues to do its job very well. We regularly measure dissolved oxygen in the bottle and we have never had a problem with high oxygen levels. There are bad Chinese machines but there are also good Chinese machines, you just have to do your homework when it comes to China. I purchase bottles, crown caps, kegs, brew equipment, SS growlers, promotional items, etc from China and I couldn't be happier. I find their customer service to be excellent and so far I haven't had a bad experience with any of my purchases.

Do you mind sharing which Chinese manufacturers you have had good experiences with?

Thanks

HogMountain
08-18-2018, 10:21 PM
I was very close to ordering a turnkey brewery BH, FV, BBT, Hex. Nothing electronic and no pumps. However, I am fearful that the upcoming tariffs will completely destroy any savings margin I would have had. What is the current tariff status?

Mad Scientist
08-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Anyone have any experience with Cassman or XG? Just received a quote that made me blink...

Mad Scientist
08-29-2018, 03:39 PM
No one?

What about Ximo?

HogMountain
08-30-2018, 11:44 AM
No one?

What about Ximo?

Have you been in touch with Gaving at Sungood? Once I nail down my building location, I'll go to him unless the new Tariffs ruin the deal.

JustinL
08-30-2018, 02:37 PM
I just received a 5bbl from Carolina micro for a brewery I am consulting on. Working on installing now. Ferm/BBTs are nice solid well made. Brewhouse is direct fire solid system as well, got controls from them too. He uses midco burners and some siemens 24v parts. The hard piping on the 5bbl seems excessive, the platform pushes the heat exchanger from under the platform. Ultimately happy with setup so far. Should be firing in a week or 2.

augiedoggy
08-31-2018, 06:22 AM
I just received a 5bbl from Carolina micro for a brewery I am consulting on. Working on installing now. Ferm/BBTs are nice solid well made. Brewhouse is direct fire solid system as well, got controls from them too. He uses midco burners and some siemens 24v parts. The hard piping on the 5bbl seems excessive, the platform pushes the heat exchanger from under the platform. Ultimately happy with setup so far. Should be firing in a week or 2.

To be fair, even though your brewing equipment is still made in china you didnt source it from there, Carolina micro is an american company... What you did is really no different that ordering from stout vs dealing directly with a chinese manufacturer like Sungood. Which is kinda the point of this thread..

Mad Scientist
08-31-2018, 03:25 PM
Have you been in touch with Gaving at Sungood? Once I nail down my building location, I'll go to him unless the new Tariffs ruin the deal.

I might hit him up. But the problem I am finding is that unless it is a full container. i am just about screwed. I am owrking with a domestic importer...just need to get the container filled!

JustinL
09-01-2018, 04:07 AM
To be fair, even though your brewing equipment is still made in china you didnt source it from there, Carolina micro is an american company... What you did is really no different that ordering from stout vs dealing directly with a chinese manufacturer like Sungood. Which is kinda the point of this thread..

Even though their site says in MD, dealing with Shine is in China. The only thing currently, at least when I ordered, was payment was sent to MD. That only just happened to, he originally was going to have payment wired overseas. Any communication with them is late night or early morning. When I was talking with him they were looking to put a warehouse in the US. I am not sure where that stands.

augiedoggy
09-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Even though their site says in MD, dealing with Shine is in China. The only thing currently, at least when I ordered, was payment was sent to MD. That only just happened to, he originally was going to have payment wired overseas. Any communication with them is late night or early morning. When I was talking with him they were looking to put a warehouse in the US. I am not sure where that stands.

Your dealing with a middle man broker in the US though (with a modest markup to pay them im sure) The advantage is you have them to go after if theres an issue. Its different than dealing direct with china over the internet is all im saying.

Mad Scientist
10-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Well, not every beer making equipment from China has bad quality. In contrast some of them are doing pretty good brewhouse, fermentation vessels works. I know MDL craft beer equipment supplier (https://www.mdlequip.com/en/home/), which is professional at this filed and has over a decade.

Does MDL have a domestic warehouse, or do you have to go fetch the container from customs yourself?

augiedoggy
10-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Does MDL have a domestic warehouse, or do you have to go fetch the container from customs yourself?

when I bought my kettles from sungood I did not have to fetch anything myself even though they do not have their own warehouse in the states (Not selling them under their own name anyway) They suggested I contact a Rep at a customs agency they often deal with named Deb and she quoted me for shipping to my buddies Dock in town. All in all everything went very well and I saved quite a bit vs buying the same kettles through a reseller.

Mad Scientist
10-02-2018, 09:12 AM
when I bought my kettles from sungood I did not have to fetch anything myself even though they do not have their own warehouse in the states (Not selling them under their own name anyway) They suggested I contact a Rep at a customs agency they often deal with named Deb and she quoted me for shipping to my buddies Dock in town. All in all everything went very well and I saved quite a bit vs buying the same kettles through a reseller.

That is what I meant by fetching them from customs yourself...having to go through a customs agent. I guess sungood is paying attention to this thread....they sent me a message!

augiedoggy
10-03-2018, 05:35 AM
That is what I meant by fetching them from customs yourself...having to go through a customs agent. I guess sungood is paying attention to this thread....they sent me a message!

I see... well it was just a couple phone calls for me..

ZeDrunkenMaster
11-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Hi hi.

Anyone seen a uni like this before?

The racking and bottom blowout tubes are, as you can see, at the same level.

Do we think the racking arm is bent up inside and sitting above the yeast cone?

Thanks in advance!
ZDM

Mad Scientist
11-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Odd manway placement too. Who makes this?

Hi hi.

Thanks in advance!
ZDM

UnFermentable
11-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Hi hi.

Yes. It is called a standpipe and one is a cone bottom out, and one has a pipe that extends upward to a certain level. Much prefer a rotating racking arm (with DIN fitting) instead.

Also that manway design is not really safe for anything over 7bbl. If you go in, how do you get out? I’ve known directly about a man who died in a tank from co2. Confined space entry should only be done by properly trained teams of two or more.

ZeDrunkenMaster
11-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Odd manway placement too. Who makes this?

Yes indeed.

You can choose a different location for the manway.

I am in Europe and these are made by Czech Mini Breweries.

Cheers!

ZeDrunkenMaster
11-09-2018, 10:30 PM
Yes. It is called a standpipe and one is a cone bottom out, and one has a pipe that extends upward to a certain level. Much prefer a rotating racking arm (with DIN fitting) instead.

Also that manway design is not really safe for anything over 7bbl. If you go in, how do you get out? I’ve known directly about a man who died in a tank from co2. Confined space entry should only be done by properly trained teams of two or more.

Thanks for the name. Was going mental trying to find info on the design! I too prefer the rotating racking arm.
I'm a Brit who learned to brew in the US so am having a hard time adapting to the various idiosyncracies of European equipment now I'm back home!

You can choose a different manway location though this is, as you say, under 7bbl (4bbl).

Cheers!

ZeDrunkenMaster
11-09-2018, 10:32 PM
They kindly sent a spec sheet where you can see the racking arm inside.

Qihuibrewery
11-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Hi hi.

Thanks in advance!
ZDM

hello,
This is Alice from China.
Most of customer want this rotating racking arm. Attached pictures, hope you like, it’s is easy for operating and save beer.
Have a good day.

Any question, you could email me:
alice@qhbeerequipment.com

Best regards
Alice.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/15aeb3e50c34c043d46d7c9097aa8e2d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/47d27ac1fac6b212e23293f84a90c4bb.jpg

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Qihuibrewery
11-20-2018, 10:34 PM
I was very close to ordering a turnkey brewery BH, FV, BBT, Hex. Nothing electronic and no pumps. However, I am fearful that the upcoming tariffs will completely destroy any savings margin I would have had. What is the current tariff status?

Dear, I heard from my USA friends, there is no effect import tax in beer brewing equipment now. But not sure after February.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk