Hop basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop basket?

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I'd like you advice about what this device is and what I should do with it:

I have a cylindrical basket with a diameter of about 10 inches and about 4 foot in length. One end has a removable 'cap', allowing you to put something in it, perhaps. It has a handle halfway along the side for picking it up. It's made of punched, fairly heavy grade stainless steel.

I also have a smaller one, same diameter, less than 2 foot in length.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

sounds like a hop back to me.
    Check out little Creatures, they have a huge one that they use for making the Pale Ale.
    Looks like a big deep fryer with a huge basket which they fill with hop flowers.
    Check out the forum on grumpy's website, there is a link to some pics of it.

Allan

Comment

Um, exactly what web site was that again, please...?

Comment

It could be a basket for hop extract tins. One method of using bittering extract is to punch some holes in the hop extract cans and thrown them in a basket to be submerged in the kettle. Four feet sounds a little long though.

Comment

it's on grumpy's discussion board.

There is a whole section on Little creatures pale ale recipes. One guy has some pics on his website of the hop back.

grumpy's is a brewpub/homebrew store in Hahndorf, South Aus.
          Their discussion board is great, mostly homebrewers though.

anyway, not sure, but that's what it could be.

Allan

Comment

Working...
          X