Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbonating in kegs - what to use to plug beer-out port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonating in kegs - what to use to plug beer-out port?

So as a small nano, we have to force carbonate directly in the keg after racking. But with a Sanke coupler, there's no easy way to close off the beer-out port while still allowing CO2 to flow in through the gas-in port.

We could hook the kegs up to our taps, but that would lock-out that tap from being used until the beer was fully carbed. We could use barbed 3/16" hose plugs (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...s/S19-4.shtml), but then I have to put together an assembly of nut + gasket + tailpiece + short section of hose + hose plug.

What I really want is a 7/8"-14 stainless steel threaded cap. Or a blank tailpiece with no barbed protrusion.

Does anyone know a source for either of these? What do others do in this case?

Thanks!
    -----

Simon Brown
    Owner & Brewmaster
    Claremont Craft Ales
    Claremont, California

use this valve on the out of your sankey

Comment

Yes I had found those valves, but I was hoping for something cheaper than $28 per keg!
      -----

Simon Brown
      Owner & Brewmaster
      Claremont Craft Ales
      Claremont, California

Comment

those are the best for what you need. have you tried to put head pressure on in your fementer to help carb up your beer?

Comment

a penny for your thoughts

A penny fits perfectly in a beer nut. I just saved you $27.99.
          Justin Moore
          Head Brewer of Good Times
          Red Lodge Ales Brewing Co.
          Red Lodge, MT 59068

Comment

Yeah, I got a private message with the same info from another brewer. Brilliant!
            -----

Simon Brown
            Owner & Brewmaster
            Claremont Craft Ales
            Claremont, California

Comment

Originally posted by jcrjustin

Gentlemen, we have a WINNER!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcrjustin
                This is great!

Comment

You can also get beer nut caps for maybe 50 cents each. I put one of these on my coupler beer out, and vent pressure through the gas port on empty kegs prior to cleaning. foxx has them.

Comment

I prefer the nickel, it fits even tighter than a penny, and is more sanitary. However, it does cost five times as much!

Comment

you can also just hook up a picnic tapper with a beer nut.
                      Beejay
                      Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

At our nano I had a 16 keg carbonating setup. Each one was plugged with a penny backed by an o-ring and beer nut to seal.

Used it like that for over 2 years no probs.
                        Andrew Godley
                        Parish Brewing Co.
                        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

I force carb pushing the gas in through the beer out port,having removed the check valve that is in there. There is already a check valve in the gas in side, so nothing comes out the gas-in side when doing this. I have since also added the same type of check valve to the beer in side so that no beer comes flowing back up the step in to the air line.

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
                            I prefer the nickel, it fits even tighter than a penny, and is more sanitary. However, it does cost five times as much!
                            Ah, but a penny is useful for removing any sulphides present in the beer during carbonation!

Comment

All you need is a couple inches of beverage line on the tap side, plugged with a sanitized stainless bolt, etc. Put a hose clamp over the plug. Ugly but cheap and it works. Removing the coupler can be messy; be ready with a hose and a spray bottle of sanitizer.

Comment

Working...
                              X