Seeking hose-end protection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking hose-end protection...

We just got a new floor on the brewpad and it has a significant amount of texture (read: abrasive) in it. I'm getting ready to re-hose the brewery complete with shiny new T/C hose barbs.
    I'm hoping someone has a trick/gizmo/device (think something like a big rubber doughnut) that I can slip around our hoses a few inches from the ends to (a) minimize any damage to the floor when the hose ends get dropped, and (b) keep the floor from tearing up the new T/C barbs as they get drug around the brewpad.
    I've looked at grommets (too thin), hose-reel stops (typically too small) and even baseball bat-training rings (too rigid).
    Any ideas hugely appreciated!

Pat Ringe,
    Diamond Knot Brewing Co.
    Mukilteo, WA

I say. Celebrate your new floors. Don't worry about your hoses. It's a brewery afterall. Plenty of other fun stuff to think about....shiny hoses...not so much.... Just my opinion.

Comment

I just saw some donuts a guy had cut out of flat rubber sheet that was about 1/2 " thick and the outside dimension must have been like 4 inchs or so. he said they were stamped out by a local machine with a die to the size he needed. Im sorry but I have no idea who the machine shop was, but I would imagine any real machine shop could source materials for something similar.
      www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

hose ends

Why not just use some TC's on the ends of the hoses without gaskets, they take the abuse on the floor?
        Trent
        Shades of Pale
        Park City UT

Comment

I've often seen plastic netting used to protect machined threads and such. It will easily stretch over TC fittings, and comes in a roll you can cut to length.

In the past I've ordered some from ULine, and their turnaround is lightning quick:

http://www.uline.com/BL_3753/Protect...ead Protectors

Comment

I've used rubber hose end doughnuts for internally expanded hose ends from Associated Hose Products in PDX: http://www.ahphose.com.

They work pretty well, though you still need to be careful lifting the hose as the ends can pivot on the doughnut and nick the floor, especially on longer hoses.
            Clarke Pelz
            Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Over sized pool noodles work.

And there is a double size "super pinky jumbo" ball I see at wal mart or big lots sometimes that I core out and they slip onto my goodyear hoses perfectly. The trick is coring them out I have a piece of 1.5" stainless that I cut off years ago. It's sharpened, and I stick it and the ball in a vice. You have to keep it aligned as you squeeze the vice, but it makes a perfect hole that stretches over the hose, and stays put.

Good luck!

Nat

Comment

I know there are plastic caps out there for covering 1-1/2" tri clamp fittings. Might not be ideal, but I think they would work to protect your hose ends from impacts.
                Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                Strangeways Brewing
                2277-A Dabney Road
                Richmond, VA 23230
                804-303-4336
                www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Worst comes to worst, wrap the ferrules with a bunch of Gorilla Tape. That will save the ferrules AND the floor. Cheap.

Comment

just an idea

How about getting a piece of hose that has an ID the same as your OD and cutting rings off and sliding them on. If they wont stay put a clamp around them to keep them in place. I haven't tried this, it is just a random thought that i had
                    Cody Ragan
                    River City Brewing Co.
                    Spokane, Washington

Comment

Originally posted by poltz
                      I say. Celebrate your new floors. Don't worry about your hoses. It's a brewery afterall. Plenty of other fun stuff to think about....shiny hoses...not so much.... Just my opinion.
                      Works for some connectors, but tri-clovers get pretty munched after a few years of (ab)use. To the point of failing.

Comment

Hack up some small Pelican cases?

How about cut up tennis balls?
                        Little Deep Brewing Company
                        Minot, North Dakota
                        www.littledeepbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by sopbeer
                          Why not just use some TC's on the ends of the hoses without gaskets, they take the abuse on the floor?
                          Second...
                          Sometimes we brewers over think with our over active MacGyver gene. Triclamps are designed to fit and it just so happens they also protect.
                          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Many thanks for all the tips, guys! Gonna give a couple suggestions a try and will let you know what works.

Pat Ringe,
                            Diamond Knot

Comment

Hi,

I have seen lots of commercially available hose savers. Some look like large rubber balls the go over the hose, others are more like a PVC disc about 1" thick with a support collar that holds the hose. Your local hose shop should have some.

If they don't have them I can send you a couple of links.
                              Your CPE Systems Team!
                              CPE Systems Inc.
                              800-668-2268
                              CPEsystems.com
                              Thinkpumps.com
                              sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Working...
                              X