Silo Venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silo Venting

I have a very overzealous local health inspector that is telling me that I need to install a multiple bag house filter control system on our malt silo. I think she thinks we are filling it with something poisonous. I have had an engineer determine that the amount of dust created by filling the silo would be tiny, but she is still not happy.

Is there an industry standard for brewery silo venting or non-venting? Maybe in the EPA codes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
    Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
    Elmsford, NY
    www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Hmmm. Ask her if she goes to every farm in the area? The grain blown into their grain silos generate about 10 times the dust that barly malt does.... Just sayin'

Comment

The silo should be vented outdoors, in case it is an indoor silo. Other than that, the silos I've worked with just had a single leg of nylon stockings attached to it. Bag house? Overzealous is an understatement. Check what other grain handling systems in your area are equipped with. Are you blowing it in?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Grain dust is highly explosive. Vent it into the boiler room?

Just playing. But seriously. Silos can be dangerous in certain situations. It's best to contain the flying particles. If you don't believe me throw a handful of sugar on the fire for me.
        Jason Raimondi
        Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

Help Please

The inspector has asked me to provide "industry standard" on brewery silo's.

I would like to show her that the majority of small brewery silo's have nothing for dust control when they are outside of the building.

i am asking anyone that has a silo outside to please email me a picture clearly showing the vent tube open to the air

scott@captainlawrencebrewing.com

thanks for any help you can give me
          Cheers,

Scott Vaccaro
          Captain Lawrence Brewing CO
          Elmsford, NY
          www.CaptainLawrenceBrewing.com

Comment

Working...
          X