PDA

View Full Version : Spent grain rake/hoe

fastricky
08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I am having a heck of a time trying to find online a spent grain rake/hoe to manually rake out the residual spent grain from the mash tun.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Danke!

BanjoPicker
08-14-2012, 02:00 PM
GW Kent has a food grade hoe for $100. I got mine at Home Depot for $8. It's not food grade but I bet it works just as well.

fastricky
08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
GW Kent has a food grade hoe for $100. I got mine at Home Depot for $8. It's not food grade but I bet it works just as well.

Got it! Thanks Banjo Pickin' man!

beejay
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
I know a lot of brewers who buy a regular metal hoe and bolt a plastic cutting board on the end to make it bigger and less scratchy. Also, look for those GW kent hoes/paddles etc. elsewhere. I think I paid a good $30 less than their price for the same mash paddle and had my choice of color. The company that makes them is Remco.

yap
08-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Plastic shovel from home depot and a composite boat oar. since its for grain out it doesn't really need to be food grade. total cost for the two=$30

fastricky
08-14-2012, 06:44 PM
I know a lot of brewers who buy a regular metal hoe and bolt a plastic cutting board on the end to make it bigger and less scratchy. Also, look for those GW kent hoes/paddles etc. elsewhere. I think I paid a good $30 less than their price for the same mash paddle and had my choice of color. The company that makes them is Remco.

Yes, I've since found it at Grainger for half the price of GWKent. I'll have a stroll thru Home Depot too to see what I can cobble together too. Thanks gents.

Bainbridge
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeeeup. Hoe from hardware store + sturdy plastic cutting board + bolts, washers, nuts = penny conscious mash rake.

lhall
08-15-2012, 03:54 PM
1" thick UHMW plastic sheet from McMaster (cutting board equivalent)
3/4" copper pipe flange
6' of 3/4" copper pipe
stainless bolts and nuts

about $13

has lasted almost 8 years