Carbonation issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation issue

I seem to be having an issue that I haven't encountered before. My last two batches have all come out as expected. Once the ales have been packaged in 1/6 kegs, they were hooked up to co2 to carb. My cold room is a steady 53 degrees and co2 was set at appropriate level to reach the desired carbonation level. After several weeks, the carbonation seems to be exactly where I want it. The problem is arising when I chill the kegs to serving temp and the beer is coming out dead, flat and boring. What's going on? Before chilling the beer was coming out with a full frothy head and nice co2 bubbles. Could it be that I need to let the kegs chill for a few days so the co2 has time to absorb into the solution, due to temp changes? Any suggestions would be great.
    D Rave
    Ravenous Brewing Company

You should be carbonating at serving temperatures, in bulk, before packaging. Lots of threads on this site dealing with carbonation. Search and you'll find some answers. Good luck.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Lower beer temperature = increased CO2 solubility

You're carbonating at one temperature, where you see good dispense as it's relatively easy for CO2 to come out of solution, hence the head/bubbles.

Once you chill down, the solubility increases so the CO2 is more likely to stay dissolved, hence the unwanted 'flatness' & lack of head.

As Philip says, chill first then carbonate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenous Brew
        I seem to be having an issue that I haven't encountered before. My last two batches have all come out as expected. Once the ales have been packaged in 1/6 kegs, they were hooked up to co2 to carb. My cold room is a steady 53 degrees and co2 was set at appropriate level to reach the desired carbonation level. After several weeks, the carbonation seems to be exactly where I want it. The problem is arising when I chill the kegs to serving temp and the beer is coming out dead, flat and boring. What's going on? Before chilling the beer was coming out with a full frothy head and nice co2 bubbles. Could it be that I need to let the kegs chill for a few days so the co2 has time to absorb into the solution, due to temp changes? Any suggestions would be great.
        This may be a revolutionary concept. Why don't you come up with a target CO2 spec and then start checking the CO2 content?

Comment

Here's a chart that will hopefully help you troubleshoot what you should be carbing your kegs at in your cold room to make sure you have the right volumes:

A Force Carbonation Chart featuring Pressure vs. Temperature in Degrees Fahrenheit

Hope this helps...
          Kevin Shertz
          Chester River Brewing Company
          Chestertown, MD

Comment

Pretty much the same chart as the previous post, but hey, who doesn't like more references?

Comment

Originally posted by Beer_Nut
              Pretty much the same chart as the previous post, but hey, who doesn't like more references?

http://www.zahmnagel.com/LinkClick.a...ow%3D&tabid=81
              Thanks for the excellent charts. Could you folks who do this for a living please explain to Ravenous how one goes about checking CO2 out of a keg?
              What devices does one need and what is the procedure? What are the safety issues?

Comment

We check the volume of our co2 with a Zahm.

Basically you hook it up to the sample port of your brite tank and fill it from there. You pop a valve, shake it up, then compare the pressure and temp readings to the chart and it tells you the volume of co2. I suppose you could rig a keg coupler to fill the Zahm, but they are specifically designed to clamp on to a sample valve. They are expensive but they are the cheapest way I know of to accurately check co2 volumes.

Comment

I've mentioned this elsewhere on Probrewer, but it bears repeating here (I hope!) - if anyone uses nitrogen, eg. for tighter head formation, etc. - then pressure-temperature CO2 analysis is flawed, since anything that relies on shaking gas out of solution will include the N2 in its CO2 result.

As a rough guide, 10ppm of N2 will give an error of around 25% on a typical beer level of 2.5v/v (5g/l) CO2.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. Before I posted this I should have mentioned that I had already referred to the charts that were posted in this thread. In fact this Co2 charts have always been a reference that I use to carbonate my beers. I will do some other troubleshooting and let you know how I make out. Thanks again.
                    D Rave
                    Ravenous Brewing Company

Comment

Working...
                    X