Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lines being tainted by extract

Hello,

Looking for suggestions or comments from those that have dealt with this. We just got done serving a Raspberry beer at our brewpub that we used a really good, but potent, Raspberry extract for.
    We flushed and cleaned the lines well, but now the robust porter we have on that line still tastes and smells a bit like raspberry. We're very diligent to begin with, when it comes to cleaning our lines.
    Our draft line company is saying that we might need to change our pump line and equipment to that line, every time we use an extract or an ingredient with a strong, distinct flavor to it.

Anyone else deal with this or recommend something else that's non-traditional for cleaning lines better than normal?

I have heard glycol works with taking flavor stains out of a beer lines but i have never tried it.

Comment

Once the line has been been in contact with strong flavor extracts (berry, root beer, etc.) it's not going away any time soon. You might try packing the line overnight with an oxygen-based cleaner such as PBW, but don't get your hopes up. The best solution for this is to have a dedicated line for each flavored product. Some beer line materials, such as Micromatic's Brewmaster barrier line, have less of a tendency to pick up flavors, but still can.
      In the past I have even experienced flavor "jumping" from one draft line to one running along side it. We regularly served a beer flavored with raspberry extract, and over time the flavor permeated one line and migrated into the line next to it. Not a happy situation.
      Good luck!
      Walker Pruett
      Production Manager
      Imperial Yeast
      Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
      X