UL listed NG burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UL listed NG burner

We are just finishing up scoping out the burner assembly for our kettles but are having issues finding a burner that's UL listed that will work for us. We'd like our inspections to go smoothly so we're hoping to avoid non-UL stuff.

Couple things that we've looked at:
    1. Economite: We assume these need some extra baffles under the tank which we don't have (glacier tanks)
    2. Jet burners: Made in china, no UL listing.

We have everything else covered (flame sensor, spark igniter, honeywell controller, etc..). What do people typically install in these tanks?

Give a call to Carlin Burners they are UL listed. Mike Martel has done two successful brewery fit outs.

70 Maple Street
    East Longmeadow, MA 01028
    Phone: 800-989-2275 Fax: 888-292-0572
    E-Mail: info@carlincombustion.com

Comment

you could also try powerflame. they are similar to economite.

i originally had a chinese burner. inspector wouldn't approve it. i had to buy a new UL listed burner. some people have gotten chinese ones approved, but if i were you i wouldn't take the chance...
      Scott LaFollette
      Fifty West Brewing Company
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Thanks for the help.

If I understand this correctly, it seems that a UL-listed burner is going to be similar to an economite and jet burner won't be UL-listed. We assumed the economite style would require some baffles in the firebox so we're not sending to much heat out the exhaust. Any truth to that?

Comment

no one? I figured with the popularity of some of these cheap kettles that lots of people would have been through this.

Any mods to the firebox needed for an economite?

Comment

We will be using an economite burner with our PBST Kettle and i'm not familar with baffles needed - although we requested the forced air burner option with our kettle. So they may add additional baffles when manufacturing the kettle. What you say makes sense, but I have no knowledge of it - sorry...

Your best bet would be with manufactures.
            Nate Cornett
            Yellow Springs Brewery
            Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

Economite type forced-air conversion burners (which were originally designed to convert oil-fueled boilers to gas) are basically a giant torch. If you see one in action, you'll notice that it's firing about a 3-4 foot long flame out its jet. A kettle designed for its use will have an insulated and enclosed firebox that the actual liquid-bearing part of the vessel sets into. The baffles serve two purposes: to deflect the flame and spread the heat more evenly underneath the kettle and, perhaps more importantly, to act as a heat shield to protect the side of the firebox and kettle that is in the focus of the flame.

My experience with Economite: the igniters are finicky and seem to foul easily meaning that I often have to try two to three times to get the burner to fire and periodically have to remove it (pain in the ass) to clean/adjust it. Also the electronic control unit is flaky. I replaced ours ($250) with about two months. Apparently other local brewers have had the same problem and it is confirmed by our gas guy who has installed a number of them. Might pay to look for one that doesn't have "econo" in the name. It boils wort, though. Maybe I just have a lemon.

Comment

Economite v PowerFlame v Carlin v Jet Tip

Can't seem to find any comparisons from anyone with experience amongst forced air v jet tip or the different forced air options. The Economite review above makes me a bit reluctant although they sounded like a great option before.

Anyone able to offer any feedback/recommendations?

Note: This is for a 3BBL system under a vent hood.

Comment

baffles?

Could someone describe placement(where and how many?) of baffles in firebox? We have a 7BBL coming and we bought a 400K BTU Econolight burner for it...
                  Brew Master/Co-Owner
                  Arclight Brewing Company
                  Watervliet, MI

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonwine View Post
                    Could someone describe placement(where and how many?) of baffles in firebox? We have a 7BBL coming and we bought a 400K BTU Econolight burner for it...
                    I too would like to hear about placement of baffles/design. Maybe a picture or two? Please and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdFusion View Post
                      We have everything else covered (flame sensor, spark igniter, honeywell controller, etc..)
                      Would you mind sharing details on what you will be using, make/model numbers ect..?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X