Calibrating the probe thermometer - Partlow 1160 control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calibrating the probe thermometer - Partlow 1160 control

I just landed my first commercial brewing gig. Unfortunately, I'm all alone and having to learn everything the hard way. I'm having trouble getting sparge/mash water temps due to the inaccuracies of the read out on my LCD control panel.

I have determined boiling (212 F) reads out 224 F.

Anyone know how to calibrate these things? I found the manual online, but couldn't see any mention of this.

Pic of the controller in question is included.
    Attached Files

There should be a Temperature offset setting in the PID. To set the temp to the correct setting. To calibrate all you need to do is check the temp probe with slushy ice water to see if it is reading 32f(0c) or at boiling. I normally do boiling because it is closer to the temps I want the water.
    Jon Sheldon
    Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
    Bugnutty Brewing Company
    www.bugnutty.com

Comment

I understand needing to calibrate against boiling or ice water, my question is how to make that adjustment. I can't find it via the settings or I just do not know what to be looking for.

Comment

On one of my PID the setting is called PV, on another one it is called PB. Mine are found in the pid's menu. On both of my pid's the setting is called Input offset.
        Jon Sheldon
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Try the "Process Variable Offset" setting in your setup mode of your pid. Default is zero. Try changing it by 5 to see if it changes the temp display. If it already has a number other than 0 makes sure you make note of it so you can change it back if that doesn't change the temp display.
          Jon Sheldon
          Bugnutty Brewing Company
          www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Awesome, I think that did the trick. The numbers bounced all over the place then settled down. I'll check it for accuracy now and fine tune.

MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Comment

Working...
            X