Hop Pelletizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Pelletizer

I've got a local farmer looking to grow some hops for me, and he needs to get a pelletizer. Anybody have experience with these machines, and could recommend a brand or brands?

Thanks,
    Scott

Hop pellitizer

The only one I have seen is one that was built by the hop brocker, Hop Union? Oh well were ever Ralph Olsen works! Sorry Ralph. Still remember the tour de Hop and loved back in 1994!
    Doug A Moller
    Brewmaster
    The Moller Brew House
    (405)226-3111

Comment

Depending on variety, he may need the rhizomes in the ground a year before you see results. Yeilds are miserable for some varieties the first year or two.

The pessimist in me just has to ask:
      How's he going to pick, dry, freeze and mill the hops before pelletizing?
      Do you have a hop processor nearby that you may be able to contract to do this work?

Comment

I don't know of any processors nearby (Western PA) but it's a good idea.

Both ends here are aware of the very limited first year(s) crop, but they're going organic, so it takes a couple of years to clear that requirement anyway since they're starting out with conventional rhizomes. They (and I) are definitely in it for the long haul.

Scott

Comment

Hop processing

Is anyone aware of a hop processor in the NJ, NY, PA tri-state area. My partner and I are planning a hop farm in Sussex, NJ. His farm is already certified for organic grazing of cattle.

A number of local Brew Pubs have indicated an interest in purchasing locally grown hops. Most will only by pelletized hops so we will need to have our hops processed some where.

Any ideas on where to get equipment to pelletize hops ourselves would also be of help.

We are planning for the long haul, so this work is all part of our planning stage.

Thank you,

Bob Leach

Comment

Would a mobile hop pelletizing service be something that you woud be interested in? I have a thread started in ingredients / hops Q & A / mobile hop pelletizer.
            cdrsfrg 's post touches on a profound fact. Most breweries, especially brewpubs are not set up to use whole hops. Hopbacks are not free. There not terribly expensive, but $2000 +/- can by a lot of other things that a brewery needs. Add to that the fact that most brewers do not get to write the checks to pay for such things and now the whole using local hops thing gets pushed down the list by an owner who is too busy stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Really.
            I think growers could still sell all their hops for local harvest ales ( I grind mine in a Vitamix, or for large quantities, use the kitchens big Buhr Mixer). But, is one beer a year really what we'll settle for, when the concept is, locally made beer from locally sourced materials? If I have pelletized hops from my local grower then I can make truly local beers year round.
            I've calculated that a small hammermill and pelletizer that can do 200-400 lbs / hour is plenty capacity and can fit in a standard cargo trailer. Growers would hold their hops, baled in cold storage, just like Hop Union does, until a scheduled visit by the mobile pelletizer.
            Would it be prefered that the pelletizer be owned by a co-op?
            Brian Cofresi
            Brewmaster,

Comment

As a newer and small scale, but very dedicated, organic hop grower in Michigan, I can say that a mobile hop pelletizer is exactly what we need. We are currently trying to unite other like ourselves to form a coop so we can share equipment, labor and knowledge. Right now we have to sell our hops whole to stay cost effective.

Comment

You can rent one

Colorado Mills rents pelletizers for $1500/month.
                Easier though if they are just over the mountains from you

NEW EQUIPMENT We manufacture new equipment that includes: pellet mills, hammermills, coolers, screeners, screw conveyors, bucket elevators, bag scales and bag sealers. Our continually expanding line of new equipment includes a one year manufacturer’s warranty and lifetime technical and engineering support. USED / SERVICED EQUIPMENT Buying used or serviced equipment can save you anywhere from 40-75% off the new price. Our goal is to provide high-quality, affordable solutions, and used or serviced equipment can often be the best ticket. Available at a fraction of the price, and often with little or no lead time. SELL YOUR EQUIPMENT Turn your idle assets into cash! If you are no longer using your equipment, let us know. We can sell it on consignment, trade it in for a different machine or we can purchase it outright. Our equipment purchasing team will quickly appraise your equipment using the information and images that you provide in order to make an offer.

But all you midwest ones should now you have an ally: Gorst Valley is trying to round up all the above mentioned machinery for I imagine the folks around WI. James Altwies is on this forum sometimes too!
                Last edited by AlexisScarlett; 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Mobile Pelletizer - We REALLY want to meet with you

Brian,

Could you show me somehow one of these mobile pelletizers via a video or link? There are many more people here in Michigan getting into production but no cohesiveness in what to do with their future harvests. I want to share ownership of one of these potential pelletizers in a co-op of growers. Contact me at :

pdgardening@hotmail.com
                  Jeff Steinman
                  Hop Head Farms
                  (269) 664-3167

Facebook group, "Great Lakes Hop Growers Consortium"

Originally posted by bcofresi
                  Would a mobile hop pelletizing service be something that you woud be interested in? I have a thread started in ingredients / hops Q & A / mobile hop pelletizer.
                  cdrsfrg 's post touches on a profound fact. Most breweries, especially brewpubs are not set up to use whole hops. Hopbacks are not free. There not terribly expensive, but $2000 +/- can by a lot of other things that a brewery needs. Add to that the fact that most brewers do not get to write the checks to pay for such things and now the whole using local hops thing gets pushed down the list by an owner who is too busy stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Really.
                  I think growers could still sell all their hops for local harvest ales ( I grind mine in a Vitamix, or for large quantities, use the kitchens big Buhr Mixer). But, is one beer a year really what we'll settle for, when the concept is, locally made beer from locally sourced materials? If I have pelletized hops from my local grower then I can make truly local beers year round.
                  I've calculated that a small hammermill and pelletizer that can do 200-400 lbs / hour is plenty capacity and can fit in a standard cargo trailer. Growers would hold their hops, baled in cold storage, just like Hop Union does, until a scheduled visit by the mobile pelletizer.
                  Would it be prefered that the pelletizer be owned by a co-op?

Comment

Working...
                  X