Peracetic vs ClO2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peracetic vs ClO2?

Yeah, I tried searching but since thread titles are rarely aptly named, I came up with nothing.

So I currently use ClO2 and have never had a contamination or infection issue. But I notice that a lot of others use peracetic. It would be nice to have a one-step, vs two, santizer mixing procedure. Other than that, the only negatives I've heard about ClO2 are completely unfounded in my opinion...ie the chlorine is dangerous(only if you mix it improperly), chlorine damages metal(only if you mix it improperly), the chlorine blah blah....

Safety wise, I know that peracetic in its undiluted form is nasty and very dangerous stuff, whereas stabilized ClO2 is completely harmless.

The biggest issue I have with ClO2 is the cost. It's not cheap. So tell me...which do you think is better and why?

Cheers,

Jud
    Last edited by Judd; 09-21-2012, 04:40 PM.

"Better" is up to each individual. I prefer Chlorine dioxide for several reasons. It's not really any more expensive by the liter of sanitizer, it's less dangerous to handle the raw product, it's doesn't foam as much when CIPing tanks (I know PAA isn't supposed to foam, but I can do it somehow), it's got a great kill profile (PAA is good, too), it's good with any residual organics (which you should never have), and it's good for acid washing yeast (if you ever have a reason for doing that). And it's fairly odorless. I can't eat salt & vinegar chips for weeks after working around PAA! Best idea? Try both and pay careful attention to those characteristics that are critical for you. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

There's been lots of great stuff on this in the Brewers Association forum. Do you have access to that?

Comment

It's funny...I'm looking to do the opposite....What form of Clo2 are you using?

Mixed PAA is great, works very well and does not mess with sensory profile of the beer (when properly mixed). It is a pain to work with and if it gets on you, it is invisible until your skin turns white and itches...that goes away after a while. The smell is also very offputting to workers or anyone walking by. Rinsing the drums for disposal is also very odorous. Also, because it is such a small dosage/water amount (0.20%), they often get overused and thus $$ down the drains....

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
          "Better" is up to each individual. I prefer Chlorine dioxide for several reasons. It's not really any more expensive by the liter of sanitizer, it's less dangerous to handle the raw product, it's doesn't foam as much when CIPing tanks (I know PAA isn't supposed to foam, but I can do it somehow), it's got a great kill profile (PAA is good, too), it's good with any residual organics (which you should never have), and it's good for acid washing yeast (if you ever have a reason for doing that). And it's fairly odorless. I can't eat salt & vinegar chips for weeks after working around PAA!
          Really?

PAA-based sanitisers have an almost Pavlovian effect on me when it comes to craving salt & vinegar chips.

Comment

Working...
          X