Wort Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wort Grant

In the process of putting together our 2BBL system and hopefully go into full production end of October.

My question revolves around a Wort Grant

1. Is there benefit to using it for direct fire recirculating setup during Mash or mainly only used when sparging to BK?

2. If using during Mash I would imagin you would get temperature drop a bit while the wort travels out of the mash tun into the grant, thru the pump and back up into the Mash Tun.

If thats the case where would be the best place to put the temperature sensor to make sure main mash tank hold consistent temp. Pre Grant, in the grant or post grant?

If I'm way off and there is a better way to do it I'm all ears.

The main use of the grant is during vorlauf and runoff from the Mash tun to the kettle. I've never head of a grant being used as part of recirculating heating system.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Use a VFD on the pump to slow it down and you won't need a grant to recirculate. This is what we do on our 3BBL. If the MT is well insulated and you use REAL brewers hose which is relatively well insulated the temperature loss will be minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by kugeman
        The main use of the grant is during vorlauf and runoff from the Mash tun to the kettle. I've never head of a grant being used as part of recirculating heating system.
        Agreed. Temperature loss is never an issue for 20-30 minute vorlaufs.
        Keegan Malone
        Pinglehead Brewery

Comment

I have been looking at different threads for brewers hose. Lots of options out there.

Any reccomendation on a good qualify hose that hold temps well I might be able to use during the recirc mash?

Something like this maybe?

Comment

Working...
          X