Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's Yer Social?

Hey all,

(Quick intro; first time, long time. Taking the plunge into nano-land. New kid on the block. Don't haze me, bro.)

I've been working in social media for the past six years or so, most recently at a gigantic digital advertising agency in Boston. As such, I am (predictably) of the opinion that social media is an exceptionally important tool in any marketer's tool belt.

That said, I've also noticed that there are very few craft/micros who are doing anything particularly exciting with social media.

So I feel compelled to ask: What has your experience been with social media? How is it stacking up against your expectations? Are you planning on spending more or less money on social media in 2013 than you did in 2012?

(Ancillary question: Do you know of a brewer who kicks butt in social? Would love to check them out.)

--Matt Shaw
    Founder, Unbrewery

I personally hate social media. I do not have a personal FB page, and never plan to. That being said I recognized the usefulness of it for my business from the start. Before I was open I had a company FB, twitter, and blog. It is essentially my ONLY marketing tool other than glad-handing personally everywhere I can. I am by no means the most social media savvy person, but what gets put on my pages is genuine and always comes from me. I had about 400 or so FB followers and 100+ twitter followers before I ever sold a drop of liquid. That may not seem like much to some people, but it was a lot more than I would have had without social media.

As for how much I will spend on it next year vs. this year...the same...0. I will not EVER pay someone to do it for me. The great thing with social media is that it is a way to genuinely connect to people. The minute you start paying a "firm" to do it is the minute you turn people off to it. Of course this is just my opinion......
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Social Media

I remember one new "Micro" that had its own NASCAR team. Hummm. I suspect they were someone else in disguise. You think? I think social is good but that any big and flashy look makes me suspicious. I've seen more the than one situation where a good dedicated customer or "friend of the brewery" who is into social media does it for a little free beer. Does one really need a department of twits?

Comment

Social

BTW, I just got a brewery opened in the Ukraine and running a little over budget I mentioned they should try to do a little trading. Now we have plumbers, electricians, gas suppliers, etc. showing up with their jugs just looking for something to fix. (The plumber is great, he brings the Vodka.) I love this business! Perhaps a fun thread could be; What do you trade for beer? Err, maybe not,
        Last edited by obvance; 10-14-2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X