satellite eyewash station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satellite eyewash station

We need a seperate eyewash station in the Distillery section of our brewery. I was browsing McMaster, and saw one that was mounted on a 1/2 bbl keg. Anyone know where I can buy the assembly sans keg? I seem to have a lot of those on hand already...

Nat

Personally I would stick to commercially supplied sterile bottles of saline / pure water.

I assume that you are proposing the keg contains the eyewash fluid. How are you going to ensure that the eyewash is sterile and at the corect pH at all times. Plus all you have to do is by a new wash bottle or two if they get used. Once you start providing your own fluid, you will have to think about mineral content in case there is by some fluke, a chemical reaction, you have to make sure it is completely bug free, and you will have to maintain records to prove youare doing all this - for insurance / legislative reasons. You will also have to make sure it is portable and the pressure available is OK so it doesn't blast out too fast or dribble out too slow.

Anything other than commercially available prepackaged bottles isn't worth it in my book.
    dick

Comment

One should never put anything other than product in a product container.

Comment

Ha! sure, I was going to fill it with beer. Nothing like a good Flemish Red to wash out the eyes.

Seriously, though, I have access to any quantity of proper eyewash saline solution through a company associated with the brewery, but I'd like to have a proper (15 min) flush station in the distillery that has saline rather than water. McMaster Carr has a station for sale that is based on what is essentially a 1/2 bbl keg, and since I have those, someone must make the assembly. The keg would be a new one, and I'd dedicate it to eyewash.

I'm not trying to cut corners here, I just don't want to pay $900 for a container that I already buy in bulk for $120.

So rather than expressions of what I shouldn't do, anyone know who makes the plumbing for those stations?

Nat

Comment

Plumbers surplus dot com has them for $605 free ship

after looking around myself, I found the Guardian 1562 and it is absolutely made from a beer keg. even the older unit they sold was made from a 5 gallon corney keg. I tried to find just the coupler, as the other parts are easy to find, but no luck. if you really want to build one, I would say check out GuardianPlumbingProductsDOTcom and maybe give them a call and ask for a replacement assembley. the parts arent located online at their site, but that obviously doesnt mean they dont exist. the place I listed in the message title has them for the best price I could find already built, and based on what repair parts cost, it may be more cost effective to just buy one of those. the other thing is from a liability standpoint, $600 bucks isnt much to pay for ensuring that someone else is on the line if the product fails. Hope this helps.
          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

V2comp, that was a good link. I found this

Shop Gemplers for your landscaping, growing, safety supplies, clothing, footwear and pest control needs. Gemplers is a small, family-owned business based in Wisconsin and serving folks who work outdoors across the U.S.A. since 1939. We’re dedicated to always treating you like a neighbor and not a number.

and it is clearly a guardian product. I'll phone them and find out if I can buy the eyewash assembly only. Interestingly, they have the keg rated for 100 psi. Anyone have kegs rated that high in their brewery? Mine all say 60 or 75 psi (the Franke kegs are rated 75)

I still might just plumb one into the wall, but I'm told saline is far more effective for flushing NGS. I don't really plan to try it first...

Nat

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat View Post
              V2comp, that was a good link. I found this

Shop Gemplers for your landscaping, growing, safety supplies, clothing, footwear and pest control needs. Gemplers is a small, family-owned business based in Wisconsin and serving folks who work outdoors across the U.S.A. since 1939. We’re dedicated to always treating you like a neighbor and not a number.

and it is clearly a guardian product. I'll phone them and find out if I can buy the eyewash assembly only. Interestingly, they have the keg rated for 100 psi. Anyone have kegs rated that high in their brewery? Mine all say 60 or 75 psi (the Franke kegs are rated 75)

I still might just plumb one into the wall, but I'm told saline is far more effective for flushing NGS. I don't really plan to try it first...

Nat
              To reitterate, I would NOT attach that to anything other than a new keg. Plumbed water vs stored eye wash solution are different animals.

I would NOT store anything other than product in a keg that has been labeled for product (there could be health code concerns there as well)

Think of it this way, if you are willing to drop the money on a fancy one like that, why risk compliance issues to save $100 on the type of keg you are using with it?

Comment

It's just a thought. Chloride ions are incredibly destructive of stainless steel, causing pitting and stress corrosion cracking, and saline solution for say ion exchange columns is always made up and transferred using plastic tanks and piping for this reason.

I have a nasty feeling that you are solving the bulk saline storage problem, but creating a potentially very dangerous system if you are pressurising the keg. You can now get plastic kegs, and although you appear not to be using these, if you need a gas pressurised system, then a plastic keg will be safer long term.
                Last edited by dick murton; 09-20-2014, 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
                dick

Comment

Working...
                X