Carbonation Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation Stone

The carbonation stone that arrived with my bright tank is a little undersized so I purchased a new one from GW Kent. Unfortunately I did not realize (as in I did not measure or think about it) that the carbonation stone port on the bright was 1" not 1.25". The GW Kent stone is 1.25 inches, and with out cutting it, it just will not fit into the port. Looking about the internet I was unable to find one, so I was wondering if anyone had any place that I might be able to find a longish 1" in diameter carb stone?

Thanks!
    Dammy Olsson
    Quality Manager
    Wormtown Brewery
    Worcester, MA

I'm not sure if this is what you mean - but can you unscrew the carb stone from its pipe, and reassemble the stone inside the tank? We have had to do that before.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Tried that

We tried that, and the nut is still too big (first thing I tried!)

D
      Dammy Olsson
      Quality Manager
      Wormtown Brewery
      Worcester, MA

Comment

The Kent pico-carbonator is 7/8" wide and 8 inches long. Probably the same size as your "undersized" stone though...

A small carbonation stone made of 316L sintered stainless steel.  The pores are 2.0 microns.  The tank connection is 1.5” TC.  The gas connection end is ¼” Female NPT threads.  When carbonating a tank place the carbonation stone as low as possible in the tank to get the best results.  Small carb stones will take longer to carbonate a tank than a longer carbonation stone will, but it will still get the job done.  The carb stones are also used to aerate wort in order to achieve a healthy fermentation.  For aeration of wort the carb stone is generally placed in line right after exiting the heat exchanger on the way to the fermenter.  When carbonating a tank, this small sized carb stone is recommended for small tanks of 5 barrels or less.  Use care when handling and cleaning sintered stainless steel carbonation stones so you don’t plug up the pores.  Never use a brush to clean a carb stone.  Best practice is to immerse in an ultrasonic bath for cleaning.

Comment

Just got one of each of those stones. The pico carb stone will fit in a 1" pipe spool, so should work on the tank, just wont go in as far. It is probably similar to what came with the tank. I have used my 4" oxy stone for carbing, and it was only slightly slower than the eight inch stones in the other tanks. If you have not tried the one that came with the tank, you may be surprised.
          Hope this helps,
          David

Comment

Originally posted by Damase
            The carbonation stone that arrived with my bright tank is a little undersized so I purchased a new one from GW Kent. Unfortunately I did not realize (as in I did not measure or think about it) that the carbonation stone port on the bright was 1" not 1.25". The GW Kent stone is 1.25 inches, and with out cutting it, it just will not fit into the port. Looking about the internet I was unable to find one, so I was wondering if anyone had any place that I might be able to find a longish 1" in diameter carb stone?

Thanks!
            Yeah isn't GW Kent great?!? They sold me 3 tanks with 1.5 TC ports where you would put the stone plus they sold me the stone that you are talking about except the spool on the port is some metric size just below 1.25 so the nut on the stone won't go in. I ground and polished the corners on the nut and it goes in fine now. You just have to put the nut and TC portion in then screw on the stone once that part is in. Total PITA but it works, of course you could return the stone and get a 2 piece from St. Pats and add a 1/2 inch stainless pipe to make it extend to the middle of the tank if that is what you prefer. I have one of the 7/8" from St. Pats on one brite and it works fine.
            Luch Scremin
            Engine 15 Brewing Co.
            luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Working...
            X