Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this glycol system work for 3 3bbl FVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this glycol system work for 3 3bbl FVs?

Would something like this http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...P4302-PKG.html work for 3 3bbl FVs? I am trying to find a glycol system adequate enough for maintaining 2 FVs at cold crash temp and 1 FV at active fermentation temp.
    Nick Tanner
    Head Brewer/Founder
    Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
    Cumming, GA
    www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

Chiller

Should be no problem. I almost got one for a similar setup as I was told 3000 BTUs would be fine. I tried the 1/3 HP from Micro Matic, the next size down , and could not get a fast enough crash. I have a 4000 BTU now and it is much more than I need. (How often does that happen?) I'm sure Jim at Pro will jump in if there is any other issue with using a chiller designed for a longline draft system but I think you are right on target with the size. Only other thing I can think of is size of return line. You may want to modify it to a larger size. Be sure you have a bypass in the loop also so when all of your valves are closed the pump will have somewhere to push the fluid. BTW, as I said, I can now have more than enough chilling power to crash a tank in 4 hours, does anyone know of a simple timer to slow things down? I am now having to reset the tank temp throughout the day and night and it would just be nice if I could set something once and walk away.
    Last edited by obvance; 10-28-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I did followup with a Private Message to CSBC and agree the rated capacity of the tapline chiller system he refers to is above the estimated cooling load he describes. My concern would be if the glycol pumps, which are designed to supply the taplines, will be adequate for the jacket cooling requirements.

Hopefully there's brewers on the board with direct experience using the chiller system he is asking about and better answer his question.

Jim
      Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

the cooling capacity will be sufficient but if you want independent temperature control it gets more tricky.

You will have to figure out a thermostat system to control either independent circulation pumps or run a "trunk line" and use solenoids to start and stop coolant flow to the jackets such as is done with larger "pro" systems.

The chiller you show has two circulation pumps already so it will be somewhat easy to setup to control two fermenters independent of one another. If you want it to run three you will have to modify the unit yourself to add a third circulation pump. The pumps they use are designed to push glycol through 500+ ft of 3/8 tubing. They can easily push more than adequate flow through a short run of tubing and a glycol jacket.

Read this thread start to finish

Last edited by CopperKettle; 10-29-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

3 hp would be safer

Jim's right about having the ability to cool, but you will need more coolant volume and umph. I wanted to do a similar move myself, but was convinced by someone who knows more than me to get 3 horses. And you know, you're ready to add tanks as you can.
          BK

Comment

Working...
          X