Refrigerated shipping containers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerated shipping containers?

One of our investors is really set on using refrigerated shipping containers for cold storage to minimize the actual building space required. I believe they are 8' x 40', which to me seems too small (especially since the opening is 8').

We are going to be a 30 BBL production that I am estimating will be 80/20 wholesale/self-distributed because of how spread out our market is.

Am I wrong to be concerned here?

You would probably need two or more of them. The main cost of a walk-in cooler is the refrigeration system. I bet that they would be more trouble than simply looking for a used walk-in cooler. Try Barr Inc for used systems.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Refrigerated shipping containers come in many sizes, up to semi trailer size but most are in the 40 foot range and almost all are around 8 feet wide since their primary purpose is to be used to transport refrigerated/frozen food around. They have to fit on a trailer. So yes, one of the biggest drawbacks for you will be the width.

You can get units that run on fuel, electricity or both. You can purchase new, used (though it will probably be heavily used) or rent. Renting may be something you want to look into if you need to preserve capital and you aren't sure how fast your cooler capacity will need to grow.

Do a simple search on "refrigerated shipping container", "Refrigerated trailer", Refer trailer", "Refer container" and you will pull up several options. Locally, check with any dealer of semi-trailers and they usually carry refer trailers as well.

Comment

Working...
      X