Mill Gap Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill Gap Setting

Hey folks! Recently had a spate of low O.G.'s and we figure our mill has become set too far apart. Getting some poorly cracked kernels. Maybe a rock got in there, or it moved over time, because it was working fine before. Anyhow, wondering what you all set yours at using feeler gauges. Looks like it's at 52 hundredths right now (1.32 mm), I was thinking lower it 45 (1.14 mm) or so?

Also got a sifter pan incoming shortly just to add another checkpoint. Wondering what you all like your proportions at? (EBC, ASBC not withstanding).
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

It's tough to use feeler gauges, since there is play in the bearings. One way to check is to run a soft piece of metal, like solder, through the mill and measure its thickness with calipers.

But the best way is to buy or borrow a set of sieves.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I'm the only one who regularly (OK, occasionally) runs screens in our brewery, but to be honest, my ideal crush size is simply the point half a step before lautering goes to hell.

Comment

Solder through

We check our mill gap setting every quarter by running 2" long pieces of solder through it and measuring it with digital calipers.

My ideal gap measured this way is at 1.6mm. We get brewhouse efficiency of around 88% for most beers.

Comment

Lots of information already posted on this subject. Many different opinions and great ideas. Usually the brewing basics--like mill adjustment--have been covered over and over. Seek and you shall find....
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

No doubt. I mean, we adjust the mill, toss a few handfuls in, adjust, more grain, adjust, etc. then compare the grind of all of them separately looking for uncracked kernels, exploded husks, lots of flour, etc. Use of the sorting screens is new to me, so we've got them on order. I know all about the recommendations from the brewing institutes, just wondering if people actually follow them... I'm just looking for tips and tricks, and seeing what everyone else is up to. And I read the forums. Doesn't mean that's the End of All Available Knowledge. Maybe someone who didn't post four years ago has something to contribute?
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

What type of mill are you using?

Dave Woodward
              Tofino Brewing Co.

Comment

I set my gap at 1.7mm and get efficiency in the range of 90-92%. I'm also doing step mashes and single decoctions with German malt (Weyermann) which is pretty plump. If you are using domestic grain (especially 6-row) then you will need a tighter gap. When I go to 1.5mm or 1.6mm my efficiency does not improve, but I do have runoff problems. My advice is to set your gap as large as possible without sacrificing efficiency. A small adjustment can make a big difference.

Comment

Bainbridge,
                  Another thing to think about is mill load. We attempted to adjust our mill based on the "scoop full, inspect and adjust method". Found that the crush would become considerably finer when we actually milled a batch as the auger filled and/or the mill hopper filled.

As has been sad before, I think each mill is unique as far as what is the optimal gap setting.

Good luck

Comment

@Sauce - That's a good point. The mill has a slide gate marked 'Zulauf' that can go all the way from hin to zu. I usually just set it so that it finishes the bag about the time I've got the next one open and ready. I do have to suspect that the cannon ball in our auger probably smashes things a bit on the way to the mash tun.

@juliobrewer - It's a German Engl Uni 40-18. Think it's a three horse as I remember. Two rollers. Finely adjustable, only there are no markings on the adjustment handle. You get the choice of "Spalt - <= GroB or Klein =>" So we just drew a line where we kinda like it and tweak it slightly from there.

Re: the solder strip. That's a pretty good idea!

UPDATE: So we adjusted the mill to a couple different settings that looked in the range, then compared the grind side by side using both Gambrinus ESB and GW Pale Ale malt. Found one that looked best overall on visual inspection and used it. Got 85% efficiency on a 1.078 (19 plato) wort. The sifting screen showed up the next day and I ran that grist through using the Van Havig method from his Rock Bottom days (you can find a pdf of it here: http://tinyurl.com/andldef ). Rather than buy all the different screens we just used the #14 screen, then shook 3 minutes, weighed what went through and what stayed, looking for 70% on top, 30% on bottom. We got 67/33, which is ok by me. It was the finer grained GW Pale Ale, I expect it'll be 70-ish with the plumper (and moister) Gambrinus. (Seemed like those husks held together much better.) Brewday tomorrow, we'll see what we get.
                    Russell Everett
                    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

ball?

Did you use a rubber ball in the sieve? If so, please tell me more about your ball.

Thanks,
                      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rooh View Post
                        Did you use a rubber ball in the sieve? If so, please tell me more about your ball.

Thanks,
                        Rich
                        Gather round children and I will tell you The Story Of My Ball!

So, lacking an Official Science Ball, I went to a local store and picked up a good sized marble.
                        Russell Everett
                        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I also use the single sieve. I got my rubber ball out of a .25 vending machine. Had a 70% efficiency day a couple weeks ago. The mill didn't sound quite right but I didnt think to check the grind. Lesson learned. The sound was a bit like running straight wheat through the mill. A lot of popping as the un cracked grain pops through

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Prost!
                          Eric Brandjes
                          Cole Street Brewery
                          Enumclaw, WA

Comment

Yeah it's interesting. Each kind of malt sounds different. I know when we're grinding light vs dark crystal, wheat vs barley, and when the grist case is full... All by the sound. Crystal in particular, much higher pitched, louder too.
                            Russell Everett
                            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We lost efficiency for a while when a couple of bearings were going out. It wasn't obvious until we took it apart.

Aaron
                              Junkyard Brewing Co.
                              Moorhead M.N.

Comment

Working...
                              X