Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing in USA for Brits

Hello out there,
    I am a British student at Heriot Watt University in Scotland and Im currently getting my MSc in Brewing and Distilling. I'm Interested in working in the States when I graduate but i know that it is very difficult for a foreigner to get a work permit. Does anybody have any advice or leads on this subject? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers- Richard Taylor.

I have the same credentials: MSc from the Watt, and I work in the States for a wholly owned subsidiary of a British brewing company. It won't be easy for you to find!

It will be much easier for you to find work in Canada maybe. Try Allied Distillers, SABMiller, or Diageo. I think all of them have operations in Canada, and from there you might be able to transfer to the US.

Barring that, you could always marry an American girl!
    Steve G

Comment

Hmmm

My experience of trying to get employment with the big boys didn't work out when I tried a few years ago, and they have been closing production sites since then. And if I wanted to earn decent money, in line with what I am currently on, the only possiblity seemed to be to buy into a micro. Not much success on that front either. Unfortunately the only ones I have tried so far have be grossly bankrupt, so not worth buying into.

But don't despair. I am sure that as a newish starter in the inductry you can afford to be a little less picky on salary than I need to be, and so could pick up something. The few consultants I have come across spend half their year out of the country - which again might suit you fine, but you really need a couple of years practical first for credibility.

Good luck

I'm still open to offers myself !!
      dick

Comment

Working...
      X