Hop Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Socks

My city makes me strain out the proteins, hops, and grain stuff from my brewhouse before anything hits the floor. I have been using some small hop socks but they are falling apart frequently. I am needing a larger hop sock that can be used multiple times without falling apart. I have check a few different sites without any luck in finding something better than I have. Does anyone use something that works well for them or even possibly a different method?

Thanks

paint strainer

i use 5 gallon paint strainer bags from home depot for a similar use. They may not be much stornger than hop socks but they are cheaper. I think it's $2-$3 for a package of 3-4 of them. I reuse them about a dozen times or so and then toss them out..

might be worth a try.
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Not a hop sock solution but...

At a large craft brewery I worked at we would pump our trub pile from the whirlpool back into the lauter tun to drain through the grain bed and basically be filtered so we weren't sending it all to the waste water treatment plant at the brewery. Not sure if it will work for you but it may make life a lot easier than dealing with hop socks and such.
      Cheers
      Edit* Adding this to the spent grain was not a problem for the farmers that took the grain away
      Jay Stoyanoff
      Brewmaster
      Plattsburgh Brewing Co.
      Plattsburgh, NY

Comment

Working...
      X