I think our Belgian is stopping early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think our Belgian is stopping early

Got a 7bbl pitch of WLP570 the Duvel strain which I had great success with at home. Mashed at 150 and pitched a 1.059 wort (9% sugar) at 68 degrees. 48 hours later I put it free rise and it's settled at 71 degrees and the gravity really hasn't dropped below 1.030 over the last 24 hours and the blowoff activity is dropping. Weird for a relatively small Belgian, I was growing it for a strong blonde but am getting worried about this one even being drinkable. We gave it 1 LPM oxygen during our 45 minute transfer although the transfer temp is about 80 degrees (we let our glycol jacket do the rest while cleaning up)...I even dosed it the next morning 3 LPM for 5 minutes. It was fermenting fairly vigorously within 24 hours. My first instinct is to rouse with CO2...my second is to chuck in some more sugar and rouse with Oxygen....my 3rd is to krausen with pale ale (cali ale yeast) in the tank next to it which is 48 hours in right now......

If I'm going to Krausen I think i'd need to do it tomorrow, hopefully i go in and it's still going at down to 1.020 but it looks like it could be stalling. What would you guys do?

Cheers,
    Eric
    TSB
    Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
    Thorn Street Brewery
    North Park, San Diego, CA

Man, I've been there. First, I would say, don't add any more sugar at this point. If you have any beer at high krausen that's probably your best bet. If you pitch slurry that's not active it'll most likely just floc out. I'm not sure about the wlp570, but some Belgian strains can really have their momentum slowed or stopped by trying to keep the temp. controlled. I thought Duvel fermented pretty high anyway but I could be wrong. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
    X