Matching Pumps and Hose Diameter with CIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching Pumps and Hose Diameter with CIP

So we have all out TTB approvals and tomorrow we get our WSLCB approval. Finally!

We have decided on a 2BBL brewing system to start with.

So now the fun begins. All the ports are 1.5" TC but I'm not sure I want or need to run 1.5" ID on all my hoses.

1. I was thinking of reducing to 1" ID. Thoughts?

2. Do I need to use concentrical reducers at all the ports or will a 1" TC work fine?

3. Pumps. I would love to get a $600-$1200 centrifugal pump but we just dont have the funds. I was thinking of the AC5b by March. .125 HP / 17GPM. do you think that will be powerful enough for whirlpool on 2BBL and CIP?
    March Home Brewing AC-5B-MD Magnetic Drive American Pump, 17 Gallons Per Minute and a Max Head of 27 Feet.

4. Recommendations on pumps under $400.00 if you dont like the March?

5. If we are going to use 1" hose most of the pumps outlets are 1/2 or 3/4. If you go from 1/2 pump outlet to 1" hose do you risk cavitation/oxygenation of your wort? Maybe another concentric reducer is in need but increasing diameter instead of reducing it?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully as I become more knowledgable I can contribute that back to the community!

1" hose should be fine

Hi,

1. I was thinking of reducing to 1" ID. Thoughts? - Should be fine you don't need anything as big as 1 1/2" for your volume.

2. Do I need to use concentrical reducers at all the ports or will a 1" TC work fine? The 1" TC fittings will clamp right on to the 1 1/2 fittings and work pretty good if you are going from 1" up to 1 1/2" but going down you should use a concentric reducer to reduce turbulence. (We charge $33 for them)

3. Pumps. I would love to get a $600-$1200 centrifugal pump but we just dont have the funds. I was thinking of the AC5b by March. .125 HP / 17GPM. do you think that will be powerful enough for whirlpool on 2BBL and CIP? I cant comment on the March pump but I can get you a nice TOPLINE C100 stainless steel food grade pump with painted 3/4 HP motor for $700.00. (The S.S. motor is extra)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CATC1001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	189844

4. Recommendations on pumps under $400.00 if you dont like the March? See above

5. If we are going to use 1" hose most of the pumps outlets are 1/2 or 3/4. If you go from 1/2 pump outlet to 1" hose do you risk cavitation/oxygenation of your wort? Maybe another concentric reducer is in need but increasing diameter instead of reducing it? You will only get cavitation is you reduce the size of the suction hose of your pump - keep it as big or bigger than inlet of the pump. A small hose on the discharge will create back pressure on the pump which could cause oxygenation so stick with at least the size of the discharge fitting on the pump or go bigger.
    Your CPE Systems Team!
    CPE Systems Inc.
    800-668-2268
    CPEsystems.com
    Thinkpumps.com
    sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Thanks Don! I'll see if I can swing the $700.00 pump at least for CIP and keg cleaning.

I also have a laundry list of tri clamp fittings I will need. Once I get that list together I will shoot you over a list for bid.

Thanks!

Comment

1" is more than enough for this size of plant.

Two areas to be considered - flow of product and flow of cleaning fluids

Wort and beer flow rate of 1 - 1.5 metres / sec = 1445 to 2165 litres / hour (non turbulent to just turbulent flow)

Cleaning flow rate of 1.5 to 2.2 metres / sec = 2165 to 3177 litres / hour (turbulent flow using sensible size pump)

Really you should be sizing for the 1.5 inch pipe, but this would require a flow rate of 5375 litres / hour, which would obviously be silly with this size of setup.

Sorry the figures are in litres / hour rather than gallons, but that is what I have set up. Plenty of converters around.

If you have an in line chiller, make sure this is sized to suit the CIP flow rate as well as cooling flow rate.
        dick

Comment

1 inch hose is just fine. The same clamp works for either 1 or 1 1/2 inch. Reducers are not strictly required, just a good suggestion. Your pump is grossly undersized. 1/8 hp won't clean anything and will likely fail due to not being TEFC or otherwise wash down-friendly. Go for the Top Line. If you can't afford it, then wait until you can. There is no money to be saved by buying the wrong pump. You will use this every day. And when you can't use it, you stop production. Still want a cheap and ineffective pump? Money and good equipment are necessary to produce great beer. Otherwise, every Joe six pack would be building a $1,000 brewery.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

agree with phil.

if there is any one single purchase that you should not skimp on it is a pump. you will use it everyday, many times a day. if it fails you are out of business until its fixed. my brewery is built about as low budget as it gets. almost entirely all used equipment...except for my pump...

always keep a spare seal kit around too!!
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Working...
            X