No announcement yet.

Sources for "beverage quality" wood...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources for "beverage quality" wood...

Hiya folks,

We're seeking various types of wood other than oak for some beer aging. Cedar, maple, apple, hickory, the list goes on...

But we're having trouble sourcing something that we're confident isn't chemically treated. It's easy enough to find incense or smoker quality woods, but those are definitely not rated for "internal use".

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,

Rob Lisaius
    Fremont Brewing Company
    Seattle WA

Check it out.

Of particular interest to me are the vinegar barrels. I would love to try a kind of 'Balsamic' beer/wort vinegar. Need a battery of different woods.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

wood

Any wood that you could use for smoking can be used for beer flavoring. I would advise against any kind of evergreen such as the afore mentioned cedar, as they contain chemicals that are harmful if consumed. If you are going to use any kind of wood for flavoring your beer just take the same time and care you would for sanitation and cleanliness at any other stage of your brewing. Try experimenting with smoking chips, just rinse them and soak in a mild sanitizer.
      Sleiche!
      Bill
      Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

Country Malt Group carries the Black Swan honeycombs in woods other than just oak.

Chris

Red Crow Brewing Company

Comment

How about a tree? I find them to be an excellent source of wood.

Nat

Comment

I can second the Country Malt Group's Black Swan suggestion. They have all types of wood to choose from, and they can cut their honeycombs to whatever size you need.

Comment

Originally posted by gray31 View Post
              Any wood that you could use for smoking can be used for beer
              The "Cedar" that some folks use is called "Spanish Cedar" which is neither cedar nor spanish. I bought a 10' plank at a specialty wood shop and spent an hour or so cutting it into strips on my table saw (making sure to make sure all sides get trimmed) Then 1" blocks using a miter saw...wear a dust mask. I made that mistake and couldn't taste anything but cedar for a couple of days. I didn't santitize, no issues

Comment

Working...
              X