Floor over membrane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor over membrane?

I'm looking to settle a lease for our new premises, and while the landlord wants to lease to us he likes his industrial, polished concrete flooring and wants to have it protected from the flooring plan I am working on. He has asked us to place a membrane down before laying anything over it. Has anyone faced a similar situation and how did you resolve it? He doesn't care if I cut trench drains into it so I think there is bit of a mixed message here.

I will be speaking with an engineer about our flooring needs next week, but would welcome any comments from others on this who may have dealt with nervous landlords and how did you resolve your issues.

I should add that this is not a temporary location and I don't plan on closing operations from this site for a long, long time. I want to reassure the landlord that if we had to we would return the floor to it's original state.

Thoughts?
    Regards,
    Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
    http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Landlords

Only thing I can think of is I have seen a type of material that is rubber like with a sort of fiberglass kinda fuzzy surface ish. Oh boy. wish I knew what it was but I know it is to set tile on for a "floating floor" for use with a poor sub floor. You use a modified elastic thin set. It is similar to a shower pan material. Ask a tile company, they will know. This should be a thread for anal landlord's though. Like the one I met who said he would love to have a brewery on his property but we could not cut any holes in the floors, walls or roof. (Picture mind bubble with plywood and tar paper flapping in the wind.)

Comment

Interesting - but would that work with a raised floor poured on top of it? I'm worried that anything elastic between the slab and a 100mm (6") thick raised floor (tapered to 50mm at drains) will potentially be weaker than if it stood directly on the slab. Especially when the strain from tanks being filled and emptied on top starts to be factored in.
      Regards,
      Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Floors

Not sure, Perhaps with wire mesh or rebar in it. It is about 1/8" thick and only lets the floor slip or flex underneath. I have only used this to put tile over wood and on a cracking slab but not in a brewery. Best to let a contractor sign off on this one.
        Last edited by obvance; 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Membrane

I think what obvance is referring to is called an uncoupling membrane....http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...pling-mat.aspx
          Typically they are used in tile installations where the area being tiled is subject to shifting and flexing (I.e. installing tile on concrete floors). The membranes absorb the movement if you will, and thus prevents the tiles from cracking. We are using it under some tile we are installing in our taproom. I don't think think this is what you are looking for unless you plan on installing something like quarry tile in which case it is more to protect the tile integrity than the floor beneath it. What are your flooring plans...? What is a raised floor?

Comment

Yes - a bunded raised floor (concrete pad with a lip around it poured over the existing floor) with a ~2% slope (~6"/15cm at thickest down to ~3"/7cm at drains) with trench drains cut into the slab beneath. The plan is to cover the new concrete in SureShield (http://www.nuplexconstruction.co.nz/...industrial.htm).

Good news! Since my first posting this the landlord has agreed to my proposal to return the floor to as it was if we ever move out.
            Regards,
            Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Floor

Pouring concrete over an existing slab is done quite often. Pouring it over an epoxy or polished surface would be intresthing to know more about as to weather it works the same on a floor it cannot bond to. Please keep us posted. Only other thing I can think of is down the road if you have to bust it out is when damage could occur.

Comment

The current plan is to lay polythene sheeting under the raised slab that is planned. The ramp up to it will be laid over a bit that is cut into the original floor so the thin end is well supported where it meets the original floor level. I'll likely be documenting this in my blog and will share some links or photos when I get there.
                Regards,
                Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Pad on top of pad

We have done work for many breweries and have seen them pour a pad on top of the flat concrete. What they do is they cut in there plumbing and then pour a slope to drain with a 4-8 inch cap. anchoring the concrete pad to the pad below with rebar drilled into pad below it.

also if you cut in the drains you could have someone that is qualified to slope with an Epoxy material or a Polyester with a Bridge overlay sand like we have done. Just make sure they have references and give you a warranty.

Any more questions feel free to call me or email me. Best of Luck! Cheers!!!

Chris Klein chris@cascadefloors.com cell# 541-510-1080
                  office 503-769-6823
                  Cascade Floors Inc.
                  Cascade Floors is an industrial flooring company specializing in epoxy or resin based floor and wall systems to cover and protect concrete and other surfaces.
                  Chris Klein
                  Cell 541-510-1080
                  Office (503) 769-6823
                  WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
                  chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Working...
                  X