whitelabs 007 ale yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whitelabs 007 ale yeast

I am looking to use this as a house strain most of my ales and ipa's are along the english styles. I would like to hear form micro-brewers or brew masters their thoughts on this yeast and do any of you use it as a house strain. I have used it in my home brewing days but would like info on the commercial level as I hope to be up and running on a 15bbl system this spring-summer thanks for info in advance.

I've run the 007 not as a house strain but for many other styles, ESB, Irish Red, Scottish and Barleywine with great success. Its highly attenuative, and has great flocculation. Harvesting is a little tricky because it tends to collect into big clumps but overall a good workhorse of an ale yeast.
    Ken

Comment

I blend the 75% 005 with 25% 007. It is not as fruity at 005 but it works long and hard to to finish the beer where I want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Martin View Post
        I've run the 007 not as a house strain but for many other styles, ESB, Irish Red, Scottish and Barleywine with great success. Its highly attenuative, and has great flocculation. Harvesting is a little tricky because it tends to collect into big clumps but overall a good workhorse of an ale yeast.
        Ken
        Ken how big of a batch are you running and are there any tricks to help harvest this yeast thanks

Comment

I have no harvesting problems

I have been using 007 for quite some time. I have never had a problem with harvesting this yeast out of a proper conical fermenter. We get our 10th generation still with 90% viability. Our technique is as follows:
          1) We use the modified 1/2 barrel keg from GW Kent as a yeast brink.
          2) Connect to bottom of fermenter after getting rid of the junk yeast (the chunky stuff) with a food grade clear hose so you can see what you are harvesting.
          3) Cap your fermenter at 4 plato to build just a bit of pressure (5 psi works just fine)
          4) The static pressure with the pressure of the CO2 push the yeast out. Sometimes it takes a bit as it can be thick at times but you will get there. I usually go and do something else where I can come back and check every minute or so.

We are doing a 8.5 barrel set up with some 17 barrel tanks. I have brewed where this was done on a 30 barrel set up with up to 90 barrel fermenters. Same process was used no problems.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bbbrewing View Post
            Ken how big of a batch are you running and are there any tricks to help harvest this yeast thanks
            I brew 10 bbl batches, we harvest into corny kegs and use separate fittings that I have tanken the guts out of both the male and female fittings so it can flow more freely. Also, plenty of head pressure on the FV and some patience are key. When doing your cell count try diluting it 200:1 so you can actully count them, otherwise the big clusters become uncountable. Good luck. - Ken

Comment

Working...
            X