Brewhouse Odor Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewhouse Odor Control

We are concerned that our neighbors will not find our kettle vapors as delightful as we do. Our 60hl kettle is fitted with a vapor condenser for energy recovery and will reduce odor but only by 20%. Can anybody offer some insight as how to capture the remainder? Would a charcoal filter work? Could we vent into a special room built on the roof? Does anybody know what other breweries have done when faced with this issue.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Andrews

I guess you could try fitting a scrubbing tower after the condenser, but I have never heard of anyone doing this. I suspect this would be cheaper than charcoal, but again, have not heard of anyone having done this. Can the condenser be improved as I would have expected this to have removed far more than 20%? Though again I have never seen any figures for those breweries that do have condenser stacks. Why don't you try one of the bigger breweries such as Sierra Nevada. I bet they have a condenser, for energy recovery rather than odour control though.
    dick

Comment

Try Asking First

Ask the people around your brewery first before you worry about it or spend money. They may not even smell it most of the time. I think it is nice that you want to do the right thing but you need to find out if it is even a problem first.
      Aron Levin
      St. Florian's Brewery
      Windsor CA 95492
      www.stfloriansbrewery.com
      www.facebook.com/stfloriansbrewery

Comment

Hey -

We had this problem and it was in our lease to fix it. We had a stack condenser and it didn't do a damn thing to please the tenants upstairs. We made a relatively inexpensive aluminum hood with 12" round duct attached to it that ran to the roof with an inline fan that moved a ton of CFMs. The total cost was 4k and we had some solutions proposed at 28k. It's a piece of cake. Doesn't help with energy recovery but if odor is your issue move it out. FYI it will have evaporation rate implications.
        Hunter Smith
        President/Head Brewer
        Champion Brewing Company
        Charlottesville, VA
        434-295-BREW
        hunter@championbrewingcompany.com

Comment

Working...
        X