Any Air Compressor Experts Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Air Compressor Experts Out There?

Any air compressor experts out there that care to keep me from making a mistake? I am looking for an air compressor for a canning line. The requirements are 35 CFM @ 145 PSI. Would this one fit the bill?

Thanks for looking.

Originally posted by DowneastCider View Post
    Any air compressor experts out there that care to keep me from making a mistake? I am looking for an air compressor for a canning line. The requirements are 35 CFM @ 145 PSI. Would this one fit the bill?

Thanks for looking.
    I'm by no means an expert but I'll chirp in.

Sizing/design has a lot to do with 'duty cycle' or how long does the equipment in question consume air at that level (ie 10% of the time or 90%).

Instinctively, a couple of things. At that level of consumption, you might want to consider a larger receiver. Depending where you are putting the compressor, sometimes a secondary receiver close to point of use is the way to go. a rule of thumb, I'd been taught to approximate air compressor size is 1 hp ~ 4 cfm, so on sizing I think you'll be good. A single stage compressor might work very hard to produce air at that pressure.

Depending on your application, you may need coalescing filters and/or oilers on your air lines.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Joe Hallock

I have owned and operated a medical manufacturing company for fourteen years. We manufacture in metal, wood and plastics with a lot of CNC machines. Your best bet for compressor is a rotary screw compressor. They have built-in filters and do not need a separate in-line dryer. They are a little more expensive but much more dependable and efficient.

Comment

I think rotary screw is overkill.

A brewery doesn't normally call on a compressor for continuous use, and continuous use is where you realize the potential of rotary compressors.

A good solid reciprocating compressor with an adequately sized storage tank is probably much better suited.
        As for the listed model, it appears to be two compressor units on one tank. However the nameplate for the drier shows it can handle only 10 scfm.

Look around. There are plenty of compressors that can output your rated flow. Does your canning line require 35 CFM continuous?

Comment

We have both a rotary screw and a reciprocating compressor onsite.

I think that Quincy would work for you, but it seems a bit pricey, as a new IR with a warranty and dryer would run about $4 grand. Also, you can probably cobble together a dryer using glycol for refrigerant (the dryers are just small refrigerators with a timed blowoff...)

Make sure that you are only going to use this for process air on on the outside of the can. If you are using a compressed air can dryer, then the air needs to be oil-free...which means a compressor that has the crankcase separate from the compression..such as some rotary screws or a RIX style compressor.

The rotary comps are WAY quieter, but at twice the price...

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat View Post
            We have both a rotary screw and a reciprocating compressor onsite.

I think that Quincy would work for you, but it seems a bit pricey, as a new IR with a warranty and dryer would run about $4 grand. Also, you can probably cobble together a dryer using glycol for refrigerant (the dryers are just small refrigerators with a timed blowoff...)

Make sure that you are only going to use this for process air on on the outside of the can. If you are using a compressed air can dryer, then the air needs to be oil-free...which means a compressor that has the crankcase separate from the compression..such as some rotary screws or a RIX style compressor.

The rotary comps are WAY quieter, but at twice the price...

Good luck!
            We have a rotary. Beautifully quiet.

To restate above, if you need that kind of pressure, you'll save bags of energy and grief with a two stage (or rotary). 145 psi is borderline highside for a single stage reciprocating compressor.

Pax.

liam
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

That Quincy looked like a two stage...just the first and second stage cylinders are inline. The majority of two stage recips have the cylinders at 45 for better cooling, but the inline style tends to be a bit quieter, unless they have floating pistons.

My advice is to buy a screw compressor...if you're financing. If you're on the cheap, you can go years on a noisy recip :-)

Comment

A couple more things...

I think the quincy will work just fine, and if you want to cut down on cycling times all you have to do is put another reservoir tank downstream...sure, you will have longer start up times. Another thing is that it looks like it would be a pretty easy install (I just spent a day threading 2 inch pipe for a new air drier, good workout if that's what you're looking for). One thing that I try to always consider is, are you going to be using this same setup in 5 years? Same building? Can you put a bigger bottler in? If so you may want to install something oversize now to save the hassle later. We run a 60 and 50 HP IR Rotaries (not in a brewery), they were bought refurbished 18 years ago. They go through a water separator, condenser, water separator, dryer, oil separator then to the equipment, it's a great set up and has lasted, but do you need it?

Just make sure you put the quincy far away from peoples ears!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Sorry for the delayed response, I think something is wrong with my email notification on probrewer...anyways, I didn't act quick enough and this one is gone. I have a 20 hp atlas copco lined up. Just need to find a drier to go with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X