Carbonation Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation Levels

I was looking to see how others calculate what the carbonation volume will be for a new beer being produced on a production level. How do you decide? I use a carb stone with a 1.5hp VFD pump at 65%.
    "Everyone has their masters, but very few have a Beer Slave Extraordinaire TM"

Don't guess, know.
    We have a Zahm Nagel Series 1000 CO2 Volume Meter
    It was a little pricey but not when you consider the cost of sending out poorly carb'ed or over carb'ed beer.
    Zahm & Nagel, crafting 100% American-made products for the brewing and soda industries since 1908. Producing carbonating and quality control equipment...

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Selkirk View Post
      Don't guess, know.
      We have a Zahm Nagel Series 1000 CO2 Volume Meter
      It was a little pricey but not when you consider the cost of sending out poorly carb'ed or over carb'ed beer.
      http://www.zahmnagel.com/
      Thanks. That one definitely looks like it would work better than the Gehaltameter I have used.

I guess what I am trying to compare to is how you figure if you want to carb your ales at 2.65-2.70 and your Tripel Belgians at 2.75-2.80 instead of carbing them the same/higher/lower and the expectation after packaging. What method do you use to determine the carbonation level to bring out the best in your beer? These are not the exact numbers I use; just hypothetical numbers. I am asking to see if there is a different equation or method that may be easier or better than my way.
      Last edited by The Cellarman; 02-25-2013, 11:24 PM.
      "Everyone has their masters, but very few have a Beer Slave Extraordinaire TM"

Comment

The problem with style appropriate carbonation levels for Belgian style beers is that you can’t ask an account to pour your beer at a different pressure than the rest of the beers they have on tap. We have a beer in our tap room that is carb’ed to nearly 3.0. We have it on a separate gas line and pouring at 36 psi. It’s delightful but I won’t sell it to my distributors because it will be a foamy pain in the ass when it’s tapped outside of my control.

There are a few places that have the ability to pour each line at the correct pressure and gas mixture, Whole Foods in Boise for example, but they are the exception, not the rule. In general our carbonation levels are very near each other and very close to what most other micro’s are doing so they don’t cause hate and discontent with the servers.

Comment

Working...
        X