Dry Hopping with Pellets without filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping with Pellets without filtering

Is it possible to dry hop in uni-tanks with pellet hops or are there little hop particles floating in suspension? I don't have a way to filter nor do I have BBT's.

We are a ten barrel system, with no filter. I have dry hopped half my beers with pellets, and it just takes a bit longer to crash cool the remains out of suspension. The most I have done is thirten pounds, and I still achieved 9 bbls of beer from that batch. Typically I get 9.5 bbl vs 10 bbl un-dryhopped.
    Hope this helps,
    David

I send from the conical to the serving tanks, and serve that day. a week or so dry hopping, a few days crash cooling, and done.

Comment

Thanks for the input....newbie to SS fermenters here (got out of the plastics yay)

Comment

We've been dry hopping with loose pellets as short as 3 days and getting the pellets out at 40 degrees for 24 hours just fine. We have seven bbl FVs and also transfer to serving tanks with very little hope material transfer. I'm still not sure if hops 'crash' because the molecules don't flocculate, but perhaps the remaining yeast drag some of the hop particles down with them? If anyone knows if hops crash on their own I'd love to know.
        Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
        Thorn Street Brewery
        North Park, San Diego, CA

Comment

We dry hop for a average of 6-7 days. The hop pellets break apart and slowly fall to the bottom of the cone. Then we crash the tank and blow out the hops from the bottom of the cone before transfering.

Comment

Working...
          X