Odd mashing resedue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd mashing resedue..

Firstly hi to everyone on the forum! I'm a long time reader of this forum and site but haven't posted before, so here goes.

My Asst Brewer has just shown me a really odd residue he's found in our mash tun. Sorta looks like wall paper paste or something. It was from a single infusion (63c) mash. It was also using a new malt for bottling called ProAnt free. I'm wondering if its some residual gluten? Will this pose a problem for filtration d'ya think?

I've been brewing 7 years now and I've never seen this before. Any info available would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Can you post photos of it?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	190123

here ya go.

Just spoke to my boss and he said it may be to do with too fine a crush?

Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE

here ya go.

Just spoke to my boss and he said it may be to do with too fine a crush?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Undermodified malt? Looks gummy/proteinaceous.

Try step mashing if you can or a blend of Pale malts.

Any way to check FAN of your wort?

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

starch

I think 63c is just below the starch gelatinization temp. if so the starch might be not fully going into solution and forming your wallpaper paste. try and iodine check on it.
          Todd Crowell
          Head Brewer
          Kettlehouse Brewing
          Missoula, MT

Comment

Originally posted by dinobrew View Post
            I think 63c is just below the starch gelatinization temp. if so the starch might be not fully going into solution and forming your wallpaper paste. try and iodine check on it.
            I think you've hit the nail on the head there chap, iodine showed positive for starch and the bloke brewing said he wasn't sure the temperature he got was quite 63..

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X