Internal Visual Inspection of Brewer's Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Visual Inspection of Brewer's Hose

We have several long hoses (12+ feet) and would like to make a periodic visual inspection of the inside. Is there a method or industry service that can view the inside of the hose? We test for contamination by plating a sample from the hose but still looking to confirm if inside of a hose is sound on a regular basis.

Not sure if there is a way to do this... However I've been told on several occasions that brewery hoses that see regular use should be replaced on average every 5-6years. (probably depends on brand/material)

I know a couple of breweries that traced some infections down to old hoses (ended up cutting into a hose to find out)

Comment

Hoses deteriorate most rapidly when they are kinked. And the most common place to kink is where the hosetail (the stainless fitting) ends. So if by shining a light down at that point, the hose lining looks intact and smooth, no cracks, and the hose is not weaker at that point, then the cahnces are that the hose is OK. However, note that I do say "chances are". I guess you could use one of the sort of scopes that doctors use - though the expense is probably a bit high.

We simply rely on hose kinking / weak hoses and regular internal inspections at the ends. As previously said, depending on the type of hose, and the abuse it suffers, there will normally be a maximum usage time - but we have found that simply using the things reduces their working life to less than the stated expected maximum usage time.

Use of excessively strong sterilants such as PAA or regular high temperatures tends to shorten the working life. If connecting up well above ground level and the rest of the hose trails on the floor, then using 45 or even 90 degree bends will reduce the kinking and prolond the working life.

Cheers
      dick

Comment

Sounds good

OK thanks for the replies - we already do these things as much as can be seen and tested and just wondered if there is anyone out there able to inspect the inside lining.

Comment

Update on interior hose inspection

Just wanted to update the post with some new info - the company that installed our brewhouse piping has a boroscope that is capable of completing a visual inspection on the interior of piping and hoses. So we're going to have them take a look on a periodic basis, just to make sure we don't have any integrity issues that would cause problems. The name of the company is RODEM and they are based in Cincinnati, OH, in case anyone else would be interested in this same type of service.

Comment

Working...
          X