Flat Beer, Lotsa Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Beer, Lotsa Head

I can't seem to get carbonated beer to come out of a sixth keg at home, but at our restaurant it comes out perfectly carbonated. The beer is Carolina Brewery Copperline Amber. Psi reads 10-12 in both kegerators, but at home the beer throws a ton of head yet is flat. At work, no problems. Any ideas?

I don't believe you can assume the PSI setting at work will be ok for your home setup as there may be some differences in a few variables. The psi setting is based upon the how much pressure is required to push beer at (V) temperature through (W) distance of (X) diameter tubing of (Y) material to keep (Z) volumes of CO2 in solution. The beer should come out of the facet at approximately 1oz. per second. When you are pouring the beer, if you see puffs of foam chances are you will need to increase your pressure. A better explanation can be found in the Draft Quality Manual put together by the Brewers Association.

I tend to find that home kegerators have tubing that is either too big or not long enough. I like to have at least 5-6 feet of 3/16" tubing. This allows me to pour beers of varying volumes of CO2 with some allowance of temperature change. I would highly suggest getting a hold of the manual. It has some pretty awesome information.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The systems seemed similar enough to me, but after you mentioned line diameter, I noticed my home system had a larger line for beer and a smaller line for CO2. Is that setup incorrect?

Comment

Working...
      X