Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serving tanks vs. kegging

Hi everyone

I'm planning to purchase a 4-5 bbl system with 4 fementers.

Should I invest in jacketed fermenters or on serving tanks ? My first idea was to get as much serving tanks as fermenters (4) so I don't have to keg all my beer -but then again, is it such a pain the butt to keg everything?

Zb

serving tanks

That is a very small system so the most you would keg is 40 kegs.
    While thats not a lot serving tanks are much nicer. Especially for the bartenders who wont be fliiping kegs during the friday night rush. I would consider a larger brewhouse as that system won't produce much beer per batch, remember that it takes no more time to brew 15Bbls as it does to brew 5. Is there a reason you are starting so small?
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I appreciate your comments BigWilley

We prefer to start on a smaller scale, and offer a larger variety of products (uh, is that a good answer?)

Budget is actually our major concern. We can't afford "big" jacketed fermenters AND as many serving tanks (my aforementioned dilemna) Since we are dealing with an old building downtown, most of the budget goes into repairs. And for the same reason, space is limited and oddly divided.

I have to admit that around here, 3.5 bbl is the standard for a brewpub, and I may have taken that into consideration too much.

Zb

Comment

Something you might consider down the road is adding a whirlpool tank so you can brew back to back and also add a 10 Bbl fermenter and 10Bbl serving tank for your best selling brand. That way you could double batch and have some breathing room. You will almost always have one brand that dominates.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Yes, I do want to add a double-batch fermenter+brite tank for my Pale Ale (or most selling beer), later.

I would then ferment a single batch and pour on top later.

Zb

Comment

Working...
          X