remove plastic bung from inside kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove plastic bung from inside kegs

Hello, I recently purchased a number of older bung style kegs, converted to sanke valves. Some of them have the plastic bungs inside, i.e. they fell in instead of coming out. Does anyone have any idea how to get them out? With the sanke valve removed I have two holes to work with, but cannot find a way to grab the bung, and then pull it out. I hesitate using a torch, although I have been tempted. I do not want to use them if I cannot remove the bung.

Thanks,
    David

We had some like that. We welded a lag bolt to a piece of re-bar threaded it into the bung via the bung hole. Pulled it up and grabbed it with needle nose pliers.
    Pete Broyles
    Riverport Brewing Co
    Clarkston, WA

Comment

We used to use something like this to get pieces of bung and stuff out of Hoff Stevens and Golden Gate kegs

Comment

Pulled it up and grabbed it with needle nose pliers.

Do you just yank it out? or are you cutting up somehow? This is why I have not tried either of the methods in the responses, though I did not think of either of those options!
        Thanks for the quick replies,
        david

Comment

If you can "just yank it out" that will work, I mean the plastic is in no way going to hurt the stainless steel bung hole. If you have to cut it to get it out, well, you have to. Either way, you should be fine. Just make sue if any bits of plastic wind up back in the keg they are removed. I never had to do it with a plastic bung, but I have had pieces of wooden bung that were too big to get back out easily and we would use a long chisel to break them apart inside the keg LOL
          Last edited by wailingguitar; 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Get The Bung out

Fill keg (partially) with hot water to heat/soften bung then +1 on the needle nose but we use vise grip style needle nose.
            Should slide right out.

Cheers!
            Last edited by bhbrew; 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Working...
            X