Thermometer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermometer Help

I'm having trouble locating a decent thermometer. Our last one lasted just over a year. We want a waterproof digital thermometer with a probe. The ones I am finding through our suppliers and searches are either too frail looking or too complex (I don't need a hygrometer).

What are you using? How has it stood up to use? Where did you get it?

Thank you all in advance.

Have a look at something like this:

The units with a replaceable probe are better than those with a fixed item. Don't bother with the small 'pen type' all-in-one units either. Most will use a standard J/K-type thermocouple, so this can be replaced easily.

Having a replaceable probe on a lead also means you have the opportunity keep the box out of the way, whereas the fixed ones with no lead are always at risk of being dropped into a vessel...

Another benefit of the replaceable probes is that you can use different ones, eg. surface, insert, or whatever best suits your needs.

Hope that helps!

Comment

We use a unit from Thermoworks and it has really held up well. Some of their units are a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. That being said, KWLSD won't lead you astray.

Comment

Try this

Replaceable probes in many lengths, water proof, dust proof, sweat proof, mash proof...

http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/Oa...er/EW-35627-00

Comment

We use a Fluke 50 II and really like it. http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/elec....htm?PID=56085 It's pretty tough, I've dropped it plenty of times and it's just fine. And you can plug all kinds of thermoprobes into it. We use a short one to measure the temp of the grist coming out of the hydrator and a 30" one for checking temp in the mash bed.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

bump

I cant seem to find a probe longer that 12".

Any insights?

Comment

Originally posted by LaveryBrewing View Post
              I cant seem to find a probe longer that 12".

Any insights?
              Cynmar carries a few different sizes for type K.

Comment

Try Reotemp. http://reotemp.com/ Excellent quality, accuracy, and durability. They make thermometers with longer probe lengths. They are easily calibrated also.

Comment

I previously worked for a scientific research facility specializing in industrial pilot plants. I would recommend Omega, and Fluke. They have stood up to abuse they were never meant to encounter, for periods never imagined. If you buy the best you will never have to worry. I have had everything fail at some point, but 72 hours at 700^C will kill almost any piece of equipment. Needless to say our brewery uses both Omega and Fluke. These companies will also develop products if you determine a need they can't seem to fit. (Not likely)

Comment

If you need a long probe, buy some .5" od stainless steel tubing, a .5" to .25" swagelok fitting and a .25" X any length thermocouple or RTD probe. Attach an extension wire to the probe and secure it at the base of the pipe with a strain relief. Then attach the male mating connector to the end of the wire, We built a 6' probe that we call the "harpoon".
                    Chris Enegren
                    www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Anderson Instruments

Anderson Instruments makes one specifically for the food industry, all stainless steel with custom probes. A lot of them come with tri-clamp connections and they will make them up any length you want.

Anderson-Negele develops & produces wide range of sanitary sensors & solutions for process measuring & control for dairy, f&B & life sciences industries
                      Attached Files
                      Your CPE Systems Team!
                      CPE Systems Inc.
                      800-668-2268
                      CPEsystems.com
                      Thinkpumps.com
                      sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

We use a single input fluke thermometer 52-1, from McMasterwith a stainless steel 3 foot probe with a T handle also from www.mcmaster.com part #9261T36. We have found that both last an extremely long time. We go through probably one of each a year, but we are brewing 20 30 bbl batches a week, and they really only ever die because someone drops them from the brew deck, lets the probe fall off into the boiling kettle, sprays the thermometer with a hose, etc. if treated well they should last a long time. I love this probe, very heavy duty, and plenty of reach.

Comment

Working...
                        X