Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap CIP System Design

Hello Internet,

I was hoping to run my CIP system design by you guys and get some feedback on whether you think it will work and what could be better. Read on if you are interested.

The goal: a relatively efficient system for as little as possible, capable of cleaning 2 x 130 BBL fermenters, 1 x 60 BBL brite, 2 x 90 BBL storage tanks (not all at the same time of course) and other associated things.

See attached for a rough design. One hose will stay connected to the pump and run to the spray ball in the tank being cleaned.

Note:
    -we are planning to switch to acid instead of caustic with Birko (maybe we should get a small tank to maintain some caustic if we use it every so often?)
    -each tank is about 185 gallons, thick plastic, cone bottom with 90 elbow triclamp fitting
    -not shown is a second pump that will recycle the used water and cleaning solutions back into the appropriate tank (they have large opening at the top) and will be used until they need to be dumped and re-filled with fresh water and cheimcals

Estimates so far on the costs:
    -fittings and piping from brewershardware.com...$500ish
    -immersion heaters from ebay...$100ish each for something in the 10kw range (if my calculations are correct this would take about 2 hours to heat the full tanks to 120 degrees F, we probably will try to run them 1/2 full if we can get away with it to speed things up and keep utility costs down)
    -not sure on the controls for the immersion heaters, I have not gotten that far yet but I don't expect them to be too much
    -tanks...we were lucky enough to get these from someone for free
    -pump...not sure on the appropriate size right now, need to look into this further

So, what do you guys think? Anything big holes in the plan? Anything you would do to improve efficiency? Should I plan on insulating the tanks and if so what is the best way to go about doing this?

Thanks for looking.CIP Diagram2.pdf

2 "T"'s with valves on the top and bottom of the pump will allow you to recirc in the tank and send chem's back to to tank with some hoses, eliminating the need for a second pump. Or keep the second pump and those reservoirs should be big enough to handle two tanks recirc'ing at the same time. Be careful with the immersion heaters as they burn up really easily with no liquid
    Matt

Comment

Working...
    X