carbonating under pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbonating under pressure

I'm having problems keeping head retension on beers. I have a long run between FV and SV. My thought is racking under pressure and carbonating during transfer. After reading some of the threads on this forum, it seems like if you keep 9 psi on both tanks and have a stone after your pump set at 40 psi you should keep the proteins from foaming out in the SV or bright tank. I would appreciate any feed back on this before I try.

From what you've said, I assume you're getting a lot of foam breakout on transfer? If so, I'd be inclined to look at some/all of the following:

- Pump speed - if you're pump is running fast you could be thrashing your beer
    - Tank pressures - these need to be correct for the CO2 level you have and, if you're top-pressuring to feed the transfer pump, this needs to be correct so you get a good, solid feed to the pump
    - You need to aim for a 'quiet' fill into the receiving tank, with the minimum of disturbance so you don't end up with half a tank of beer and half a tank of fob
    - Temperature/pressure - there's no point in trying to carbonate if these critical factors are wrong for the carbonation level you're trying to achieve

There are so many factors that can affect good beer transfer - I'm sure I've only scratched the surface!

Comment

My fermentors are almost 100 feet from servers, but are one floor up (servers in the basement). My fermentors are at 32 degrees, the cooler with the servers is at 39 degrees. with both tanks head space connected, the pressure is equalized. Once I open the racking arm valve, the beer flows with just gravity. Takes 20 minutes for a 10 bbl tank to transfer. There is a bit of rousing of residual sediment, and a bit of co2 loss, but overnight it stabilizes, and pours fine the next day. These beers are fully carbed in the fermentor. If you need to pump, I would suggest using a stone on the serving tank after transfer, once the beer has settled a bit. Also, you mention pressure, but not temps. My fermentors are at 5 psi at 32 deg, the servers are 11 psi at 39 degrees. By the charts, the beer should retain about the same volumes of co2. By having the fermentors colder, I feel it is preserving some of the co2 that might be lost at a warmer temp during transfer - if that makes any sense.
      Hope this helps some.
      david

Comment

Carb/Foam Problems

Not sure if it is feasible but since you are pumping any way you could connect the headspace of both tanks so they will be at equilibrium, then proceed to pump from FV to SV, then proceed to carb entirely in the SV? I go tank to tank with counter pressure, push with CO2 and carb in the SV/BBT. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
        X