Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab grade for drains?

Hey all,

Tried to find other existing threads, but couldn't find an exact answer so hope this hasn't been discussed TOO much. We're fortunate enough to be building our facility from the ground up, and we've had some minor disagreement as far as how much fall is desired. Our equipment manufacturer is saying ~2% (1/4 inch per foot) and our consultant is recommending closer to 3%.

Thoughts?

2% is generally considered adequate for draining water -- for example, shower floors are usually 2%.
    Kevin Shertz
    Chester River Brewing Company
    Chestertown, MD

Comment

Listen to your consultant. He (or she) has probably worked in a brewery.

I would also recommend crowning the floor underneath where you plan to have the equipment. Using a squeegee under a fermenter isn't much fun, and it's even less under the kettle.

Best floor I worked on had the drain around the perimeter. No water in corners!

less fall is probably adequate for areas that don't see liquid under pressure...

Nat

Comment

slope

1/8 inch to 1/4 is ok. 1/4 is better as the water does not have to pool up a little before it starts moving. 1/4 inch is what most bigger breweries are going with in the past 5-7 yrs.

now it also depends on how far your drains are from walls or wet areas and what size/type of drains.

feel free to email me anything you have. I can send you emails from maintenance guys at almost all of the top 10 breweries in the US.

Hope this helps.

Also what area you doing to protect the floors??

Chris Klein cell#541-510-1080
        Cascade Floors is an industrial flooring company specializing in epoxy or resin based floor and wall systems to cover and protect concrete and other surfaces.

chris@cascadefloors.com

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!
        Chris Klein
        Cell 541-510-1080
        Office (503) 769-6823
        WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
        chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Working...
        X