Wort Transfer to BK in 2bbl system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wort Transfer to BK in 2bbl system

I run a HERMS system at home and have taking 60-80 min to finish my sparge and transfer to the BK with a 10 gallon batch. This might be a stupid question but im moving up to a 2bbl system and am having a hard time getting my head around the sparge and transfer process and time it would take to complete the task. Does anyone have any input on this?

I would be curious as well. On a system that size what are people typically sparging at in terms of GPM flow rate from grant to BK and still get a decent efficency?

Comment

I'd say it totally depends on the proportions of the vessel... I was taught that you want the fluid level to basically be just above the mash volume in both outflow and the addition of sparge water. This was from a gentleman who first worked at New Albion and later with AB.

So far as runoff rate/time goes, I don't have a clue without more info.
      Kevin Shertz
      Chester River Brewing Company
      Chestertown, MD

Comment

We are transferring 2 bbls in 40 minutes with roughly 82% efficiency. Not sure if that is the ideal number or not but it's been working for us.
        Steve Sanderson
        RiverWalk Brewing Co.
        Newburyport, MA

Comment

Yeah, typically as you increase in BBLs, everything else increases as well. Hose size, pump size, etc. so that you're still under an hour to finish the transfer.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. The flow rate make me a lot better.

Comment

Working...
            X