Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDD Squire plus 2 question

Hi all,

Just a quick one about the Squire plus 2 from IDD.

We've noticed that after the wash cycle and CO2 purge, there is a pressure inside the keg of ~30psi +.

When we connect the keg for racking, there is a CO2 "blowback" into our bright tank, as the pressure on the bright tank is ~10-15psi.

Our concern is if the keg itself was not 100% clean/sanitized, and the chance of blowback of infections for the whole keg batch.

Does anyone else have this concern, or should it be that if the keg was washed properly, the blowback shouldn't be a problem. Or is it that if the keg was not cleaned properly, we'd be passing the infection on regardless of blowback?

Or, is there a solution to lowering the starting psi, without having to bleed each keg?

Cheers & thanks for your time,

Matt
    Matt Houghton
    Boatrocker Brewing Company
    Melbourne, Australia

You should be able to dial the final pressure down. I'd suggest that 30 psi is a bit high. We pressurize our kegs to 12 psi.

I'm not sure how you have your kegging harness built, but mine has a valve to adjust beer flow as well as a valve to adjust the CO2 escaping the keg. Usually, after connecting a keg, I will open the CO2 valve to check for pressure in the keg (no pressure=not clean!) and close it before opening the valve to fill. If you cannot adjust the final pressure at the cleaner, then I'd say you should bleed off the keg using the harness just before filling.

We then use the valve on the CO2 exhaust line to throttle back the fill speed to avoid excessive foaming and poor keg fills.

Almost everyone I know uses a similar SOP on their manual keg fills.

Sometimes the pressure regulator is a bit difficult to find on those machines. Check the back of the pressure gauge on the CO2 line...there is sometimes a tiny screw in a recess on the back that will allow you to adjust the fill pressure. I've even seen some that require removing the hose from the fitting, and adjusting the regulator internally using a small Allen key. Failing that, a cheap CO2 reg could be the solution.

Good Luck

Nat

Comment

Problem solved...

Thanks for the response Natrat...

Problem solved... well, almost.

The CO2 final purge was pressurising the keg too much as it was a fraction over the recommended pressure. We reduced this, and it seemed to work fine, as the pump pressure plus the BBT pressure is now above the keg pressure. Although, the pump has lost a little pressure due to it being 60Hz, but the mains being 50Hz here in Oz. This has resulted in the pump needing to be primed before each fill. We're still trying to resolve that one.

What are your thoughts on a check valve inline between pump and BBT?

Cheers,

Matt
      Matt Houghton
      Boatrocker Brewing Company
      Melbourne, Australia

Comment

Could you add a check valve to help keep your pump primed? Just a thought.
        Jon Sheldon
        Owner/Brewer/Chief Floor Mopper
        Bugnutty Brewing Company
        www.bugnutty.com

Comment

Working...
        X