What are you using for a HLT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using for a HLT?

Mostly a question for those who have pieced together a used/Frankenbrew system... I've got a 10 bbl system in process with a 525 gallon kettle, 1000 gallon mash tun ( recycycled dairy chiller).... But need to know what others are using for your HLT. I know I can heat in my kettle and fill a fermenter.... But a dedicated tank would be helpful for recycling hot water and having it available all the time. Thanks!

a horizontal dairy tank works well. they are pretty heavy insulated. there is a guy on here that builds them. James Gimurtu I believe. He can sell you just the tank or modify it to heat via direct fire or steam coil. I have one (with no heating). I heat in the kettle and transfer to the HLT. Water stays hot all day due to the thick insulation in the tank.
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I can second on James' tanks. Mine is outfitted with an inner burner tube that keeps our water where we want it. We still use our kettle to heat the water, then transfer to the HLT. The only reason for this is that our kettle is far more efficient than a dairy tank with a burner tube. No complaints though, it would heat the water given enough time...
      Nate Cornett
      Yellow Springs Brewery
      Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

Working...
      X