to grist hydrate or not to grist hydrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to grist hydrate or not to grist hydrate

Finalizing 7bbl brewpub design, will include an mill & auger. Trying to pinch pennies to start and not purchase a grist hydrator and instead auger into a MT with measured water heated to appropriate temp and stir as the grain drops to limit dough balls. Can anyone summarize any disadvantages doing it this way vs. going ahead and buying the hydrator? I'd also need to buy a flowmeter because we will not have a HLT.

thx,
    dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

if the mash tun is covered then there shold be no problem with dust and you should be able to stir as if falls in. one issue you might have is the rate at witch the grain flows into the mash tun.

Comment

For a 7bbl mash tun you don't need a full out Steel's Mash Hydrater, but do invest in the simple cone shaped grist hydrater that sprays liquor in at the grain as it drops into the mash tun thru your auger outlet. Without it, your brewer will be forever cleaning the malt dust off of every flat surface in the brewhouse. This will lead to potential infections, and quite frankly, when your brewer gets sick of constantly scrubbing, every flat surface in your brewhouse will be thick with dust and the whole place will smell dank because of it.

As above, covered mash tun's offer more protection, but if a simple grist hydrater can't be in the cards, I doubt a dome shaped, covered mash tun is either.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I just found out that a hydrator is included with the system we're purchasing.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
        X