Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash agitation under 10-15 bbl?

Hello everyone -

Does anyone know of a mash agitator existing for sizes under 20 bbl?

I am considering a very small production brewery, so do not need anything larger than 15 bbls (really, very likely 10 bbls); at the same time, I do want to step mash, as there will be instances where I will want to use "odd grains," i.e., will need beta glucans rest for oatmeal, undermodified malt, etc.. I would rather not go the step infusion way, using the kettle for hot water on a two-vessel system, but it's a possibility.

If I had my choice, I'd prefer a 10-15 bbl kettle/w.p., a lauter tun, and a steam-jacketed mash agitator with rakes to step in. Anyone know of an agitator this small?

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Paul,

Check all the past equipment listings on this site, or with some of the brokers. What you're looking for is not super common in the 10-15 bbl size, but it does come up from time to time. I'm sure any of the major fabricators of brewing equipment would be happy to whip one up for you. May be pricey though!

Cheers,
    Ron

Comment

Thanks, Ron, timely enough, I just received an e-mail from Premier Stainless, whose fabricator has a great rep through his former incarnation with New World. I should have said that as this will be a purely production facility, I am looking for used first - which only adds to the difficulty of finding such a configuration, so I was curious as to any companies who do this as a matter of their standard production line, in this small a size (and then I would look for their wares used).

One suggestion was to look into a 10HL decoction system, not a bad idea.

All ideas welcome!

Paul

Comment

Agitators

Generally, Paul, this type of equipment item is integral to the mash tun. The support and bracing for the electric drive is welded to the structure. We recently purchased a used 15 Bbl Specifc Mechanical system for our production plant and wanted to install these agitators as well. $7,000 (approx) for the kit.

Not to sound negative, but the odds of finding a used loose agitator might be kinda slim..............or were you intending to buy the entire tun and agitator already assembled? Maybe I missed that.

Regards,

Comment

Brian, I think in my dream of dreams I was thinking of a separate mash agitation vessel, in tandem with a kettle/whirlpool, and lauter tun (3 vessel system). But I agree with you that this may be reaching. I could entertain the idea of a two-vessel system - mash/kettle with an agitator, and a lauter, with maybe a separate HLT if needed. I spoke with a couple of people, nice gents both (Premium Stainless and Sound Brewing), who have something we could put together. With a French bistro to run:

Waterstone

The brewery is not top on my action list. But I deeply miss brewing, and am just revisiting my plan of some years ago. Only on a much more limited scale, producing only heirloom, 22 oz. bottles; but with all the regimen I knew while working for Goose Island.

Cheers, and thanks,

Paul

Comment

I have worked with a 15bbl system made by DME that used the kettle for the mash mixer and had a mixing blade that would lower into the kettle for mashing in (or lift out while you boil). The lauter tun (w/rakes) was stacked on top of the hot liquor tank, fairly tall but that's what steps are for!

The kettle had 3 steam jackets, so ramping up from one temp to the next was easy. After mashing, I would pump the mash into the lauter tun and gravity feed the runoff back to the kettle.

I had a positive experience with this equipment (it's located in Orange, CA at the Alcatraz Brewing Company).

Good luck,
            Aaron

Comment

I have the system you want....

...and it can be yours.

A JVNW direct fire system, 15 bbl Capacity.

Includes: Mash/ Lauter Tun, Brew Kettle with Agitator, Hot Liqour back and Cold Liquor Back.

Used for eight years exclusively for decoction brewing of German lagers.

$25,000

Randall Wilson
              VP Brewing Operations
              Weeping Radish Brewery
              PO Box 1471
              Manteo, NC 27954
              randy@weepingradish.com
              (252) 475-0590

Comment

I have worked on a 7hl and a 10bbl brewhouse with Mash tun "agitators" from Bavarian brewing Technology.
                May not be "standard" equipment, but I am sure most suppliers have some time or another installed "agitators".
                Check out some of the new/used equipment brokers. They have a good selection of different equipment available.

Comment

Working...
                X